New Gas Furnace Installation Cost

I recently hired someone to install a new gas furnace in my home (the old one was basically destroyed during a flood in July). About a month or so ago, he dropped the furnace off (I prepaid for the furnace but not installation). Since then he has dropped off the face of the earth and stopped returning my phone calls.

I had someone else out to give me a quote on installation costs, and was quoted $850.00 for the install. This is for a 92% efficiency Tappan unit, which he said would be a fairly straightforward install (2-3 hours or so with an assistant). The new unit is smaller, so some of the piping and metalwork would have to be modified, but he said the gas line and electric would be fine as is. I don't require a new thermostat. I was wondering if this is a reasonable price for this amount of work? It seemed a bit high to me, but I really have no basis for comparison as I've never had work of this sort done in the past.

I'm most likely going to get another quote or two, but I thought someone here might be able to give me an idea. It's becoming more imperative now that the weather is getting colder, since we have no heat.

Reply to
KER

How much did you pay and for waht size and model unit. You should persue him to do it

Reply to
m Ransley

I paid just over $1300, it's a 92% 100,000BTU Tappan. If it were earlier in the year, I would consider pursuing him to do the job, but since I did not pay him anything for installation costs I'm just looking to get the furnace installed for a reasonable price.

It's 43F outside right now and I have no way of heating my house, so my main issue is getting this furnace installed before it gets much colder, or starts snowing. I don't really have the time to waste on trying to get the original installer to answer my calls.

Reply to
KER

The only way you are going to find out is if you make some phone calls and get some quotes. The prices you did mention sound cheap to me, but...

Reply to
scott21230

Seems cheap, especially if it includes all necessary hardware, venting, gas pipe, what ever! Be careful, you got a "deal" once already! Be sure the installer is licensed, and most of all, knows what he is doing! The best price is often not the best deal. If the installer "hacks" it in and screws it up, it may cost you much more in service over the years! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

True, it's more important to me that it's done right than getting the lowest price. Since I have no experience having this sort of work done, my main concern was that I wasn't being overcharged because of the fact that it's bordering on winter and I have no heat.

Reply to
KER

I've been a HVAC installer for five years. A 90 percenter typically takes the boss and myself two men, a full day's work. If it's an identical model, maybe less time than that.

As you describe, it's a different model. And the old one you didn't say if it was a 80 or 90 percenter.

850 may well be a fair quote. As the other folks have written, please check the references of the installer. See if they have experience.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And still don't know squat...

Reply to