Plug-in MCB's still available?

No. That'll be the timeout in the newsreader, at which point it decides the send has failed and it'll send it again.

Reply to
Huge

I find it rare to find a wylex CU that still has its cover...

Reply to
John Rumm

It was a neat way of ensuring you could not take out a higher rated fuse from another circuit, and plug it into a lower rated one.

(it obviously does not stop you rewiring it with the wrong wire, but its a start)

Reply to
John Rumm

And there are two types of Wylex cover. One needs a screwdriver to remove it, the is opened with a thumb screw.

Reply to
ARW

The cover - with the front knocked out - holds the RCD bases in place.

Reply to
charles

Come on Charles. RCD?. Blonde or senior moment allowed for your small error:-)

Reply to
ARW

Not according to Screwfix:-)

and Fuck me Screwfix claim it is rated at 6kA SCC/34544

Reply to
ARW

and Fuck me Screwfix claim it is rated at 6kA SCC/34544

Reply to
ARW

senior moment - MCB . cant be blond -it's gey and there isn't much of it.

Reply to
charles

The cover is essential to stop sparks (molten metal fragments) being ejected when a wire fuse blows.

In the case of the ones with a steel front, the cover is also essential to prevent the arc-flash jumping across to the earthed front cover, blowing the main fuse (and possibly igniting anything nearby with the resulting arc-flash blow out).

As someone already said, it's needed to keep the MCB's protected against knocks, and in place.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Partially true, maybe the resuts of an upgrade!. The older old Wylex fuse boxes (I cannot find a better description) had fuse bases with just a coloured edge. Then they moved over to fully coloured fuse bases. The old ones had the fuse base sat much further back then the new ones.

Reply to
ARW

That link gets me a 404...

This one:

shows 3kA though...

Reply to
John Rumm

There should be a screw to hold the base in place. (the MCB itself you can pull out though)

Reply to
John Rumm

in fact, it says 3kA at the top, and 6kA at the bottom of the page, so take your pick ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

My pick? I suggest that if anyone does not like Screwfix then they should report them to trading standards.

They are selling a 3kA MCB and saying that it's a 6kA MCB in the specifications.

Reply to
ARW