cost of sheet ply - and 'DIY quantity' timber?

Hi,,

I have not bought any sheet ply for years but have just got one 8 x 4 ft sheet of 12mm external from a builder supplier - cost £25+ (incl. VAT, no trade discount).

Is this the usual price? Or does it look like they made a mistake?

I thought it would be much cheaper - about half the cost.

Is it usually cheaper to get non-delivered, 'DIY quantity' timber from a builder's merchant, timber yard... or the likes of B&Q?

Excuse me not phoning being bothered to check up all over the place...

thanks,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

That is probably their usual price. You may find it a bit cheaper in Wickes, but not by much.

WPB ply is pricy stuff alas.

Timber yard will usually be cheapest. The quality qill almost certainly be better.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm paying 15.67 inc vat a sheet for 18mm OSB3 - usually about the same price as the cheapest ply. Your price for 12mm WBP sounds about right.

Reply to
dom

I asked in Jewsons a few weeks back and they wanted £18 a sheet IIRC.

I bought it in B&Q even though it cost a £1 extra as they cut it to the sizes I wanted for free. (Jewson would have cut it if their saw had been working.)

They had some much better quality stuff with 11 laminate layers but it was about £30 a sheet.

HTH

Reply to
dennis

============================= The current price for 8' x 4' x 12mm WPB exterior grade plywood at my local Wickes is £17.89. Contrary to expectations, I find that Wickes and B&Q (but not Focus) are better on price and quality for sheet materials (Contiboard, plywood etc.) than my local timber merchant.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 416 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Try Magnet... you'll be surprised. They are doing a 'loss-leader' on sheet materials and timber, to get the trade into their stores.

Reply to
deano