Communication problem?

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

Reply to
Davey

The second one isn't to EN131, but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

Not sure what makes the Youngmans equivalent 'worth' so much more.

Reply to
PeterC

Not in my local Wickes - they had a huge pile of them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oooh, well now, errm, maybe a little heavier than you - big bones you understand :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The wickes one gives a "safe working height" of 2m so presumably its 2m high when erected whereas the Toolsatan ones are only a maximum of 600mm high

Reply to
alan

I just stated what I saw when I clicked the link. I have no local Wickes, so had zero interest in checking physically.

Reply to
Davey

No "safe working height" is the height that some one can "safely" reach when standing on the platform. ie roughly shoulder height.

"2 m high when erected" would be the "platform height" to which you can add 1.8 m to get the "safe working height". I thinks it's 1.8 m, probably defined somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is unlikely the first is either. If it were, it would say it is

*certified* to EN131. With certain exceptions, such as medical devices, anybody can claim their products conform to a standard without actually having them certified as such.

The duty rating, which equates to the dynamic load, for EN131 is 115kg, which suggests that are probably much of a muchness.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Its also a different size and load capacity, but why read the details when the picture looks so good?

Reply to
dennis

They are both light professional / heavy DIY load capacity, but expressed in two different ways.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh, thanks - I'd occasionally wondered about that.

Reply to
PeterC

I repeat: " I just stated what I saw when I clicked the link."

Reply to
Davey

Toolstation one is decidedly higher load rating .. almost 30% depends if that is important to you.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Only apparently so. They are quoting two different things; static load and dynamic load. Static load will always be higher than dynamic load. If you look at the feet and hinges, they are both yellow, which was the colour for BS Class 2 ladders, before Class 2 was replaced by EN131, which has no official colour. The static load for those is 150kg and the dynamic load is 115kg.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for posting this, Dave. Just went to fix an elderly relatives outsi de light 50 miles away and got there to find their ladder broken, so grabbe d one of these from the local Wickes.

Not a bad bit of kit for £20.

For those who've found them out of stock on the website, Wickes seem to hav e new stock with a different SKU code (and different coloured feet):

mike