New sink leaks

and

Even with another washer and silicon the water just comes out of the waste around the plug hole and the sink and at the bottom.

So which bit do we take back, or do we just take it all back tomorrow and throw it on the counter?

Or are you really supposed to use a couple of tubes of silicon on a sink these days?

He's done it not me - and he's done several bathrooms before so knows what he's doing. Not screwfix stuff before though. Their fault for opening a temptingly close store at the bottom of the road almost.

Reply to
mogga

I had a similar problem with our wash basin waste thingy. I took it apart by first undoing the big nut underneath, and then scraping away as much as I could of old silicone. Once I got the whole thingy out, I gave it a good clean to get rid of any remaining silicone.

Before I replaced it I put a thin film of waterproof silicone between the wash basin and the rubber washer, and also did the same between the washer and the actual waste pipe. From the underneath I squirted more silicone up between the waste pipe and the basin. I then put the big nut back on and tightened it up as much as I could, and now we don't have any leaks.

Reply to
Bob H

Suggest that you google 'basin mate' - I think mine came via Amazon. It is a simple conical rubber washer and fitting ring - instant solution without resorting to silicone etc.

Reply to
rbel

mogga scribbled...

Is the waste hole warped? Check it with a straight edge.

Reply to
Artic

+1 x 100%

Toolsatan sell them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Funny you should say that, there is one at the bottom of my road, but I've never thought of buying plumbing stuff there I have to say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

=1

Reply to
PeterC

Twit!

I meant I agree 100%.

Or "up to 100%".

Or 110% if you prefer :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Never put this to the test but a plumber mate of mine always uses putty rather than silicone for sealing the plug hole part of sinks.

Reply to
ss

Thanks. :) He's ordered one and some other bits to take it up to the free postage mark!

Reply to
mogga

You don't need to take either back - but you forgot the secret ingredient!

Forget silicone and use this:

Use it to seat the top flange onto the basin, plus plenty at the bottom, above the big nut. It is particularly important to seal that bottom joint because water can flow out of the overflow slots and down the outside of the tube. Not a brilliant design - but they're nearly all like that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks! Have told him about this too!

Reply to
mogga

Well the basin mate order arrived today. Without the basin mates in. So he rang them up and they're coming tomorrow. They're on the list and should have been in the box with the assorted stuff he added to make it free postage.

Reply to
mogga