WC too hard for mother in law to operate after new syphon

This is old style slimline plastic cistern that replaced a high level unit in the 60s or 70s. It has a plunger on the top rather than a lever on the side or a button.

the cistern packed up so I bought a new syphon unit, so far so easy, the new unit is stiffer than the old, probably because the seal is better? But I must say, the action does not seem that good to me, needing a very positive firm push.

So now she can't make it flush because she cannot master pushing it "properly", (she is 90 with serious memory loss). She uses both hands and it goes down too slowly to "kick in".

My initial though, rip the whole thing out and fit modern kit, but there isnt room to move the pan forward as the door opens inwards, so it would be new door frame, new loo, might as well retile while at it, big job and she hates builders in or disruption. so not a fantastic option especially as no other loo.

One thing I did wonder about was the replacement syphon had a small hole in the side and there was a plastic plug to block it with, I put this in as there was no hole in the old one, I will now go and see what happens if I remove it, it might make the thing work less well but at lower pressure?

In meantime any thoughts on the possible ways forward? Are there other old fashioned slimline models still out there somewhere with a modern button operated system or even one with a lever might be better than the top plunger?

She says "its OK, dont worry, I will just use a bucket of water" I said "don't worry, I dont know what to do next but I know some men who might"......

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:46:13 +0000, Mike.. . . . :

Just off to do that and see if this 600mm jobbie would fit

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:51:11 +0000, Mike.. . . . :

I am right in thinking modern units like this work without needing force of siphoning a quantity of water so are easy to push the button.

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Do you still have the old syphon unit? Is it possible to repair it?

I thought syphon units were pretty standard fitting, can you find a better one to fit?

Changing the whole thing sounds overkill, and even then you may still have the same problem.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:09:09 +0000, Fredxxx :

I will go get the old one from the recycling bin while I check the other stuff and find out what is actually wrong with it, maybe the washer from the new one in the old one is the answer? Thanks!

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

In message , Mike..... writes

I've just fitted a new WC, with push button flush on top. It's very easy to operate, a push with one finger is enough.

what is your replacement valve like?

Reply to
chris French

In article , Mike. . . . . writes

Check the level (height) of the of the syphon point in the syphon[1], it should be just 15-20mm above the water level so that there is less water to lift before the syphon comes into operation.

Not sure why you are thinking of trying another type of button cistern, they're awkward at the best of times so if replacing, choose a lever flush like she will have used all her life.

[1] syphons come in different heights and the syphon point is obvious as the height at which the inlet pipe and outlet pipe start to be joined by the top piece.
Reply to
fred

The hole in the side is to make it into dual flush. Momentary press for short flush. Press and hold for long flush. Water economy device.

Reply to
harryagain

This is pricey, but may be more suitable for a frail person:

Wirquin Jollytronic Hands free 100% hygienic flushing solution Water Saving

1 1/2 outlet DOC M Infra Red WC Cistern upgrade <

Richard

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:48:14 +0000, chris French :

this is the old siphon type, it takes a fair push with the palm of your hand, I think she needs one like yours.

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:31:15 +0000, fred :

Ok. will have a look (my other ideas didn't work)

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Following Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:11:28 -0000, "Richard" :

now that's an idea, would have to get a tank to suit it or just bodge the top of the existing one, but I reckon it would work.

Reply to
Mike.. . . .

Is the cistern plastic? You could drill a hole in the front of the cistern and fit a Fluidmaster flush valve with a small but traditional- style lever:

Or one of these:

plus a real traditional handle:

Either way (particularly with the former) you'll probably need to replace the fill valve with either a Torbeck or a Fluidmaster such as this (bottom entry):

You can buy the first and last together as a pack:

YAPH

It probably already has a hole, fitted with a blanking plate.

I'd look at why the old syphon has packed up, might just be a hole or tear in the lift diaphgram, bit of heavy polythene cut to size will sort that out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like it needs a lever with a greater travel. It might not look too good but one hinged at a little way past the plunger running over the top of it and a handle hanging over the opposite edge might work. You could call it rustic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mike, you may not have looked at the solution I posted on 12th. It enables a hands-free flush, ideal for someone with very weak hands.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Does the cistern fill right up to the highest level that's safe? The higher the level is then the less effort is needed to start the syphon.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL