Bath overflow overflowing

An elderly friend of my dad as said there is water running out of her bath's overflow into the bath tub. Anyone know what could be causing this? I can only think something is blocked. She has called a plumber, I'm just curious.

Thumper

Reply to
Thumper

What happens if she flushes the loo...?

I wonder if somebody's connected the cistern external overflow up.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah I think you're definitely onto something there with that blockage hypothesis. You should be a detective. Or perhaps you already are?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But come on, most overflows go straight down to the bit next to the plug hole. Maybe the spider who lives down these sort of places is baling out?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a special overflow, usually used in flats, which are double function. It acts like a regular bath overflow, but it is also the end-point of the overflows from other tanks (water tank, toilet sistern, etc). It fulfils the role of requiring a visible indication of a tank overflow operating, by directing them into the bath.

A continuous stream of water (just like a dripping tap) will eventually wreck the bath enamel by leaving hard water scale which can only be dissolved by chemicals which also take the polished surface off the enamel.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You are correct in presuming that she lives in a flat. It seems your detective work is better than mine LOL

Reply to
Thumper

Sorry for the delay in giving an update but I've not seen my friend for a while. It turns out I was right. There was a blockage in the waste pipe from the bath and the water was going up and out of the bath overflow.

Reply to
Thumper