Caravan and camping sites - mandatory electrical inspection?

Where there are power sockets around a field, for the use of campers and caravanners, what is the law regarding their being tested and inspected please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield a écrit :

Sorted - The law requires a full test and inspection without fail annually, no exceptions, it is mandatory. In addition the CC and C&CC require a copy of the inspection certificate, to maintain their availability as club sites.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's not a clear cut as that. All the law says it that if you are responsi ble for a death then you are guilty of a criminal offence. There is a safe ty standard for fixed wiring BS7671, which recommends annual test and insec tion. If you have complied with this then you have a reasonable defence in a court. The standard itself is not directly statutory.

Reply to
tannersgreen

I'm a bit curious as to the origins of the query Harry, have you had a problem?

The sites I've used in the UK (CC and C&CC mainly) have invariably looked good and my portable tester hasn't flagged any issues.

I've seen the usual none standard wiring of the C sockets in France (swapped L&N) on some sites. As you probably know, standard practice is to carry a 'reversing lead' to compensate.

A few French sites look a bit 'amateur' but the portable tester hasn't shown any actual faults.

The main niggle is some are only 6A, a bit tight if you want to use the microwave, water heater etc. As you know, in the UK 16 A is more or less standard.

Reply to
Brian Reay