Gone camping

Just so no one sends flowers or anything; as of Monday I'll be gone camping for a week. Nothing exotic ...just a week away to sit & think and maybe chart a better course for the year ahead.

I'll have 4 days all to myself, then my wife will join me Friday night and a BUNCH of friends on Saturday for some canoing.

But mostly, it's just for the quiet.

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Bill - sounds like a good plan to me. Wish I was going somewhere for some peace and quiet myself.

I haven't forgotten the paint mixes I told you I would send you. I'll try to have them to you before you get back in case you come back really inspired and need them!

We are trying to pick up the pieces here as we have had constant flooding rains for almost two months. It it raining every *%^$#*&&^ day these days and it is killing us. I am sure you have seen mention of the amounts of water we are getting here in South Texas.

We should be in drought times now, stage two water rationing in effect. But we have already exceeded out yearly rainfall by about

10", and a lot more in some areas.

Getting a lot of calls for roof repairs, chimney repairs, leaking stucco and brick walls, sheetrock damage... you name it. But the weather idiots are promising a couple (maybe more) days of clear weather so I can put a large dent in my estimating schedule if that happens. Then I can dig those formulas out for you.

Check you email when you get back.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

Maybe you should put together a new contracting vehicle. One that floats!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Never in my life have I seen a more blatant request for flowers. I'm filled with consternation or dismay.

Reply to
ROY!

WOW,

You are a lucky guy. I have not been camping in a few years. I hope to get out this winter and do some desert camping. Great to have time to yourself also.

cm

I love my new mobile broadband internet connection!

Reply to
CM

You know what they say: "you can never have enough camps!" Ughh. Nevermind. I thought it said 'Gone clamping'

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (you can't tell the difference?)

Okay then, be that way. Don't send flowers. Send pizza for me and fresh bait for the fish. ;-)

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Might be ... depends on how fresh the food stays in the cooler. ;-)

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

I've never gone desert camping. However, I -am- camping near a beach. About the same amount of sand; lots more water, bigger fish, less solitude, different assortment of crawly things. ;-)

The crew on Saturday will include a mom & two little girls camping with us (their first time ... the citified Dad bailed out for lack of interest) plus the canoeing crowd. Mom & the girls went canoeing with us a couple weeks ago. Should be fun. Might be a fiasco (city wimmin' + tents + crawly things + public showers/toilets + small kids).

During the week, the state parks are pretty empty and this particular park never seems crowded anyways. I need some decompression time ... I haven't had more than a day or two of solitude in the past 7+ years.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Robert ... thanks. You are swamped, so don't feel any pressure to get that to me. When you get a few moments is good ... but don't push anything aside on my account.

Pity about getting rained out like that and having to stay in the gar-shop all day. ;-)

This is actually something of a 'working vacation'. I've got some design ideas for some coordinated flatwork / turning that I want to develop, so I'll be taking my sketch pad and colored pencils. And I want to re-work parts of my web site, so I'll be hauling my laptop with me. Today I noticed that, oddly enough, there is wireless internet access at the park. I'm thinking I might just set up camp for the rest of the summer! ;-)

Wonder how the wife would take having to continue to punch the clock while I'm hard at work on my tanning and fishing skills? Hmmmm

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Good luck with that. Last time I went "camping" was with a friend's family to a campground where the tiny plots were right on top of each other. A whole gaggle of people showed up next to us and took shifts keeping us awake all night. About sunrise I said the hell with this and went off for a run, noticing that their coffee pot was literally on one of our tent's stakes. A bunch of very cranky people were just starting to stir when I got back.

One of these days I'll have to go do the real thing. Did it in 8th grade, our whole grade went up on a mountain for 4 days. But I'd sure have a different appreciation for it now.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

There is an amazing difference between the weekday and the weekend. I'm going for the full week. The first 4 days I'll be there alone ... and that's when the grounds are least full.

There are campgrounds I won't visit again, but, even though the campsite plotting is just as tiny as elsewhere, I'm on the outskirts facing the lake so I should be able to get what I am going there for (until the munchkins arrive Friday night at the campground and the Mongol Hordes arrive Saturday at the canoe launch point).

Solitude is relative. In this case, it doesn't mean I can't see other people ... I just don't have to acknowledge them until Friday afternoon.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

At the state and national parks I've visited, the rangers were pretty good about enforcing the curfew. I have seen someone who was causing a disturbance forced to strike camp and leave about midnight. The first pass, they warned them. The second time two of them stood by while the campsite was cleared. I didn't file a complaint about them but neither did I shed a tear. The only sadness I felt was for the 3-4 year old with them. Mom & Dad had it coming.

It was pretty quiet after that.

Reply to
BillinDetroit

I'm old, bordering on senile.............

Would an anchovie pizza fill both requests?

Hey, enjoy your quiet time!

ROY!

Reply to
ROY!