Can your kids read a map?

Often, yes. The smartphone has led to lack of smarts in the population.

Reply to
Davey

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I to mine.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, you're welcome to be as stupid as you like.

Reply to
78lp

We did map-reading in CSE Geography. I'm still grateful to this day.

Reply to
Huge

In message , ARW writes

Good for you! I have often thought I should do something similar, but never have. We didn't do rabbits, but I can clean and gut a fish :-)

I well remember a few of us sneaking out of camp and a long walk to the local off licence.

Reply to
News

The same goes for you. But I accept that your needs and wants may be different from mine, whereas you appear too short-sighted to accept that. Some people will say that, because I can get fibre internet, but I don't, that is stupid, but then I am in the company of most people in this village. It is not necessary, but a luxury that might or might not be worth the cost. Each individual has the choice to make his or her own decision. Those who do have fibre tend to be either businesses or families who watch a lot of streamed TV. Not all homes fit either of those descriptions. In the same way, I don't need a smartphone. But I fully accept that other people love them.

Reply to
Davey

Our kids used to do that. Conversations the parents couldn't overhear.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Come to my area where the professional installers seem to want to point aerials at Crystal Palace ignoring the nearby high rise buildings. Bluebell Hill has a clear path and is closer with enough power for a reliable signal using a low gain aerial. Various other aerials in my street are pointing at a couple of transmitters with marginal powers or limited channels.

Reply to
alan_m

These days just look where the mini satellite dishes are pointing.

Reply to
alan_m

We are allegedly meant to use Bluebell Hill where I am. It has never worked well. I found Dover much better!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not talking about different needs. It's stupid to have just a stupidphone and a separate digital camera in the car when for the same price you can have a low end used smartphone that will do much more even if you only occasionally find it useful to take a photo of a shelf price sticker instead of writing that down etc.

That is a quite different situation where the cost is higher.

And yes, someone else I know on usenet insists on staying with dialup and chooses to run down to the library to look stuff up there instead of having some form of cheap broadband that would let her do that at home. And she used to work for DEC at one time and is should be able to work that sort of very basic stuff out, but is too bone headed like you to do that.

And some decisions are just plain stupid, like yours.

Different situation entirely.

But when you can have one for the SAME PRICE as your dinosaur alternative, only a fool sticks with the stupidphone and a separate digital camera.

Its got nothing to do with love.

Reply to
78lp

Except that I already have the 'phone and the camera. Buying a new un-needed device would cost more than the nothing I need to spend now.

Reply to
Davey

That's too hard for Mr £7.81 to understand.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I fully accept that you need/love/rely on your smartphone. I have no problem with that. I don't need nor want one, and you are not going to change my mind. What I have suits me just fine. So we might as well stop this conversation right now, as it is going nowhere.

Reply to
Davey

Yep, you are that bone headed.

Reply to
78lp

+1 I invested in the TT phone App which guaranteed free map upgrades for life. After 18 months this changed and the free upgrades stopped on 1st October.

But there is free (for 3 years) upgrade to their latest App/Maps for existing users. From the App store download the new software/map and then attempt to get the App to connect with the TomTom site. Half an hour later to find that the free 3 year upgrade cost £34 and a further email to TT with the receipt to get the money refunded (allow 28 days!).

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, I know. How sad.

Reply to
Davey

I use one for my daily commute for exactly that reason. One week it gave me a different route in every day.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The test would have been better if they had given many more choices, half of which were not featured on the map. I missed one but for some places it was easier by knowing that 3 of the remaining options were not in Scotland.

Reply to
alan_m

Some guarantee! Maybe a breach of contract here, or did their T&Cs say that they could do this when they felt the need?

Reply to
Davey