Bosch GOP10.8V Multi tool (Again)

particular job to do for which this multi-tool would be ideal. Only question is to what depth do the wood blades cut?

(We have a mahogany conservatory, about 15 years old, and the base plates and bottom of some of the uprights are starting to rot. I want to cut them out and replace them to get a bit more life out of the conservatory. Will use acrow props to hold up the roof while I do so. )

Reply to
Fred Smith

Here's the relevant site:

plunge blade 5 cm. Circular 2 cm.

I've just bought the 250 CE from Axminster (the kit); the cordless one doesn't seem too good on the reviews and even Bosch's site has complaints.

Reply to
PeterC

I've just bought the 250 CE from Axminster (the kit); the cordless one

It has dire battery life. Apart from that, it is far better than the mains powered green version, far smoother, lighter, better shaped. But the batteries are rubbish, so I wouldnt recommend it because of that.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

IMHO, a tool like this isn't suitable for batteries. It tends to get used for prolonged occasions - like sanding.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> Have particular job to do for which this multi-tool would be ideal.

Around 2" in a single plunge.

In which case you can cut a bit deeper. Plunge the first cut where you want it to the maximum depth. Then plunge an angled cut adjacent to the first cut (on the "waste" end of the timber), so that it intersects and cuts out a wedge (rather like a felling wedge). That will then allow you to get in a bit further with the cranked offset in the blade and cut a bit deeper along the original line.

Reply to
John Rumm

The battery version is good for quick jobs where you don't want to faff around with mains, or for jobs like cutting water-containing pipes where you don't want to f*ck with mains. Much more stamina and I go back to the green mains version.

Reply to
YAPH

The number of times I'd need such a tool for cutting water pipes is limited. ;-)

IMHO cordless tools are just fine for short bursts of activity. Like drilling holes. But unless a pro working where mains might be difficult and with a stock of spare batteries, I find them in general a PITA. And you still need mains to charge the batteries. Basically, they seem like a good idea until you use them in anger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You get what you pay for. All batteries are equal, but some are more equal than others (to misquote George Orwell)

You certainly need one spare.

I've got a car charger for my Ryobi batteries.

no cable to get in the way, and perhaps get cut, is a very good safety aspect of cordless tools.

Reply to
charles

But none equal to a 13 amp supply. ;-)

Your car is always nearer than a mains socket?

I've got power tools dating back some 50 years, and never managed to cut the mains cable. I often see upright 'Hoovers' with damaged cables, though. How many of those are cordless? The answer is none because the battery wouldn't last long enough.

Cordless tools cost more than mains, like for like. The batteries don't last forever. All I'm saying is people should think about their likely use before deciding they are a must.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)