Black & Decker hedge trimmer needs fixing

My Black & Decker GT 230 hedge trimmer (about 8 years old) has started playing up. It's never previously complained about cutting thicker stems, but recently, if anything beyond the most slender stems catches in the teeth, it causes the motor to disengage from the cutting blade, and race, - it's as though a clutch is slipping.

Can I fix this myself? Is it a job for a service centre, or will that cost (almost) as much as a replacement?

Reply to
Andy Mabbett

Has it been sharpened recently?

Reply to
Grunff

I suspect the little pinion is partially stripped in the reciprocating gearbox bit which is under a plate you can remove, or there is too much play in the components there. Mine went a bit iffy after attempting to cut a steel cable. I did buy a replacement blade and sort of got it going but it's hardly worth it. I also (quite separately) gave myself an apalling bout of tennis elbow by using the thing one handed to reach across a hedge. I eventually bought one of those where the handle extends out to improve the reach. Well worth it IMHO, even if the blade is a bit bendy. I would take the chance to upgrade!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Maybe the blades have started to bind together over winter. Try some Castrol motor-cycle chain wax, which will penetrate and soften up any hardened gunge. Thinned Waxoyl would work too.

Or get yourself a cordless light sabre.

Reply to
Ian White

Dave Plowman (News)