Bayonet lampholder for outside lantern?

Excuse my ignorance on this one...

I'm 'refurbishing' an old external porch light. It's traditional metal lantern style, open bottom, glass leaded light panels in the sides. The porch itself is open, but the lantern is ceiling mounted, so the latern is not directly exposed to the weather.

It had been fitted with a standard 240v bayonet bulb - and what appears to be 'hard brown plastic' lampholder - the internals of which have rusted away.

Can anyone tell me if there is an appropriate type of lampholder to use in this outside application?

Thanks,

Mike A.

Reply to
Mike Abbott

I would consider a Brass and porcelain item with screws as opposed to knife edge cable contacts / restraints

Reply to
nick smith

Almost anything - brass and ceramic, or a new plastic one. Any electrical supplier (TLC et al) will be able to help. There are a few fairly standard base mounts, but take the fitting along and I'm sure you'll find something.

But use bayonet, not screw (i.e. don't buy it at Ikea). Screw lampholders have atendency to unscrew from thermal effects. This is particularly bad with outside lights.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy hit the hail on the ned: anything bayonet. If you were going to use over 100w though, I'd look at ceramic.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

in article snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk at snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote on 13/2/05 6:33 pm:

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Mike A.

Reply to
Mike Abbott

I totally agree with you but recently almost all the available brands in the sheds or my mail order seem to come with ES.

Reply to
Mike