Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

The guy who owned it, said the two speed is unique with a spin speed of

1240rpm not 500rpm as most are. It also has a 10mm chuck and is suitable for drill bits not just hex shaft screwdriver bits or hex bits. So it is a normal drill too. The batteries charge in 15 mins. So a drill/Impact Driver and collating gun all in one. I still don't know the price.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you wouldn't know if it is high quality or not. Hilti do not make crap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Take a look at the price ranges for similar tools.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you wouldn't know if it is high quality or not. Hilti do not make crap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I didn't say that they made crap, I said that not all of it is of high quality. That is not the same thing. Nobody has suggested that Hilti's high end industrial products are not of good construction and durability. Their small cordless tools are nothing special for example.

There is no one brand or manufacturer within a given category who makes the best tools of a given type in that category. Experience and many reviews show that there is not one manuacturer who has best of breed across the board. This is one reason why TTI's approach with their Ryobi product line may appear to be attractive at first sight because of commonality of battery. However, this is a lock in and while they may be making the best product within their class for one tool type, they won't be for another and so the customer is disadvantaged in a different way.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I gave an example of their pistol grip battery impact drill. Nothing else is like it. A mains Makita SDS will not outdo it in brick up to 6mm. Not cheap though!!! A true professional tool - and made in China like all other major tools, except Kress and Sparky.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is hardly a reasonable comparison point.

Kress and Sparky are not major tools.

You forgot to mention Festool.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is.

They are big enough.

Festool.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't be silly. One doesn't buy an SDS drill just to make 6mm holes in brick.

Thank you.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, read what I wrote. "A mains Makita SDS will not outdo it in brick up to 6mm". That tells you a lot about this baby. If you don't need to drill larger than 6.5mm this will sail though brick. You can do larger and it still perform very well, although not as good as an SDS above 6.5mm. I know of no battery drill that touches it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's a big "if". Most masonry drilling is in 8mm or larger.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is not a big if at all. It is equal, if not better than a Makita SDS.

Most DIY is small stuff. also much pro work is that small depending on what you do.

I don't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It may be (according to you) but only in circumstances where you wouldn't use an SDS anyway.

You fit shelves to walls using 6mm plugs?

making doll's houses?

Mmmm....

Reply to
Andy Hall

As opposed to what? No need for anything larger than that unless you have a very heavy load.

6mm Fischer plug & a 40 x 4 screw gives an incredibly strong fix - easier to get a sailor off your sister than pull that out.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A shelf of books? Several shelves of books?

That depends on the load and on the nature of the wall to which it is being attached.

Sounds like a Chatham phrase.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Again..."It is equal, if not better than a Makita SDS"

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In the same sense that a steam roller is better than a Ferrari, I suppose it might be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Held by London brackets, cantilever brackets, battens, twin slot steel uprights & brackets? Any of those can be fixed 100% with 6mm plugs.

Fischer plasterboard plugs are 6mm too - and very strong.

The Chatham version is less PC :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But would you hang a 37" lcd using four of them? That's what the bloke in screwfix was going to do. I wouldn't.

Reply to
dennis

Well they *can*. The question is for how long.

It would be sheer folly to consider fixing book shelves just to plasterboard - unless one os looking for repeat business.

Reply to
Andy Hall