Ryobi Li-ion impact driver for 50 quid

Hello

Ryobi BID1201 12v Impact Driver, with one Li-ion battery, charger and case: Amazon are doing it (well, hosting a company called that is doing it) for :

Item Subtotal: £44.95 Shipping & Handling: £5.99 Total: £50.94

Screwfix sell it for a ton.

No load speed = 0-1900rpm impact speed = 0-2700 blows per minute Torque = 800 lb.in (about 90 Nm)

Ryobi's a good make, isn't it? Up there with Makita?

Reply to
DDS

No. Perhaps just a cut above some shed own brands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not on the same planet as Makita IMO, but far far better than a shed own label.

Only has a single 1.2 a/hr battery, you really need two.

At that price though, a good buy if you need an impact driver - and if you have never used one - you do!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed :-(

I have a Ryobi petrol Brushcutter/Hedge trimmer. Almost impossible to start

- I don't use it anymore :-(

Rubbish.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

True - I think I can get a spare battery for 20-30-40 quid at some point.

Exactly! My mate showed me how effective they are and I needed one from then on - Needed!

Reply to
DDS

Trust me - you need one :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 16/09/2011 :

No, they are much much better than those, but not quite on par with Makita.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ryobi tools are manufactured in both Japan and America. I.M.E. the American manufactured stuff is rubbish while the Japanese is o/k.

Its the old story. You get what you pay for. The cordless drill market is fiercely competitive so prices are generally sensible.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

Mine's made in PRC. The company seems to be owned by TTi who are headquartered in HK. Not Japanese (I also thought they were Japanese - maybe they got bought out?). They also own AEG and Milwaukee brands.

DDS

Its in the middle of the range of stuff produced by TTI... way better than power devil and other shed tat, but nowhere close to Makita. Think green Bosch or slightly better.

So not a bad deal unless you already have some other decent cordless tool - in which case buying a quality impact driver "body only" probably costs about the same.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've never had/used an impact driver, but have wondered about them.

What is it that they do better than (say) an ordinary drill/driver?

Reply to
Roger Mills

They either get stubborn screws out, or make it essential to drill them out after they've wrecked the slot. Kill or cure.

Reply to
John Williamson

They drive screws far more powerfully than a conventional driver of similar price/battery power could hope to.

They operate with virtually no need to grasp them tightly to avoid reaction.

They make one hell of a racket.

Reply to
polygonum

John Rumm

Not that type of impact driver... I think you are thinking of:

John Rumm

I've never had mine damage a slot, if you use enough pressure. Shear a screw, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use 2 of them when building decking. A 6 x 90mm coach screw takes less than 6 seconds to drive in

Decking screws, no pilot, less than 2 seconds.

No great amount of control, just incredibly fast - but with no reactive feedback IYSWIM.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one review on Amazon doesn't sound too promising.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Most of my serious screwing:-) work is within reach of mains power so I opted for the Makita TD0101F (now £84 net from ITS) Ample power but would be better for *slow start*. I find that the initial low load speed is too fast for my muscles to react and the bit disengages. Once the torque required builds up, it is fine.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my limited experience, remove heads from screws. OK for bigger stuff but not really for sub-5mm unless you're really careful. If there's one tool that /really/ needs torque settings, this is it.

Reply to
PeterC