plans to stop concreting over you drive parking place

Yes I see on the news that some authorities are considering banning people from concreting over their front garden so it can be used as a parking place. (In flood risk areas anyway). Maybe this is a good thing but my beef is that these same red-taped suitified chinless creeps that want to do this are the same ones that have orgasmed in delight at the rape and pillage of our green spaces for building by the property "profiteer" developers.

Just near us in the E. mids, we have seen a rugby ground and community green bulldozed to make way for the "ding ding" cash-generating moneyboxes of the "developer". The university has been building "science parks" t'other side of a city-centre arterial road that is gridlocked most of the day - with new access roads to that road!!! That science parks is of course little to do with academia - more to do with a nice little earner for the folks who already get paid well enough for the occasional lecture.

Well, what should we expect when we have a dung-heap of unqualified constipated donkeys running the country.

It's a real joke that now people can't easily get mortgages that there will be all these house for sale.

I also see the BBC is working hard to do it's bit to bring about a housing crash - just as it did to help bring down Northern Rock. Today the subliminal "news" report included scenes of The Bank of England with everything appearing normal but huge black clouds racing across the skyline. The no-so-bright will be easily convinced.

This country has pretty much had it unless the people wake up soon.

Reply to
jake

On the radio this morning, I heard the tail-end of a report about some new water charges. Premises can now be charged a fee for any hardstanding area which doesn't drain naturally into the ground (not sure what the exact rules are). The first bills have started arriving, and a church has seen it's water bill go up by £500 IIRC. I think it's only non-residential premises which are currently being charged, and I don't know if residential premises are to follow on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think it is a Building Regulation later this year.

- You use block paving with ridges to force drainage-gaps

- You require Planning Permission (fee) to use slabs/tarmac

Not heard anything about limited in scope to flood risk areas. Probably initiated by suitable lobbying by blocking paving "eco charity", meanwhile water charges continue rising & consumers can not switch.

Reply to
js.b1

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Building Regulations? But creating a hard-standing for a car is not covered by building regs., and does not need planning permission on un-classified roads. Even with drainage gaps in blockpaving, this will not work on clay soils. So will they require a full soil-survey as well, in order to park a car?

Reply to
4square

It will be.

Only to build a hard standing, probably.

Reply to
dennis

I suspect that the porous paving requires a depth of gravel underneath so in essence you end up with a large soakaway.

Reply to
adder1969

Northern Rock was brought down by its incompetent management and institutional shareholders who didn't ask the right questions. As for house prices, yesterday's *London* Evening Standard, sibling of the Daily Mail, was making political capital over the Halifax house price report, even though it said that London prices had risen slightly, the pain being in the West Midlands.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Re: plans to stop concreting over you drive parking place

when is this alleged law coming in? how long have i got left to make a hard standing?

[g]--
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

It is not just driveways or such like

- It includes your typical patio too

- Slab patio would require planning permission

I suspect for clay soils they will require either

- Layer of gravel creating void spaces

- Inverted milk crates wrapped in geotex

Soakways are not particularly effective in clay.

I suspect the idea is to onset of storm surge as opposed to try to eradicate it completely. It would also reduce utility company infrastructure spend and possibly boost the value of floodplain land portfolios. Cue Google Earth linked to Brown Central Computer. Orwell you were havin a larf.

Reply to
js.b1

I have already seen conditions on planning consent for new drives that they must not drain onto the road, and there must be no loose surface dressing within a specified distance of the road.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon