Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

Yes, so have I. It fails, and ultimately fails them.

This depends on the market, the product/service and its positioning. Some products and services are price sensitive, others are not. Some customers are more price sensitive and others are not.

It's why we have some products targeted to customers who are primarily price sensitive and others for customers who consider that quality and service are important, have a value and are willing to pay for that.

However, don't make the assumption that people who buy on price are not also looking for good service. They may well be. The problem is that there is not usually enough margin to pay for it, or the customer is unwilling to pay the extra for service.

Equally, don't make the assumption that customers who are looking for good quality and service are soft targets for price. However, they are more likely to appreciate that there is a cost involved in providing good service and are willing to pay for that.

Ah well.

Good enough, is good enough to some. One can always strive to improve.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Being better than good enough shows that the quality control system is broken. Who wants to buy from a company with a broken quality control system?

Reply to
dennis

Good points:

It arrived. It arrived within 2 minutes of another parcel which was for partner (keeps the score even :-) ). Soft case is in (almost) partner's favourite colour. It charges up quickly. It screwed a big screw into a damp, tough fence post until the head was flush with the surface. No pilot hole. Quite amazing.

Bad points:

It looks like a toy!!! Now I shall have to put up that fence.... :-)

Until very recently I had been making do with a single cordless drill (decent Bosch). But I got sick of bit changing and so had also been using partner's Bosch Ixo 3.6 V mini-driver. This was a godsend for its compactness (needed to get into places no other driver would fit). But, despite being quite useful, it is rather wimpy.

Hence, when you posted about the Makita I was already eager to get something to help. I have tried a Metabo mini driver which wasn't bad but was expensive. I did not expect something as powerful as this.

Reply to
Rod

It is an Impact Driver rather than just a driver. As you found out, it can drill in serious screws.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They invented so must be better. Duh! The Wickes/Kress is better. Also HIti are superior all the way. Real industrial men use Hilti. Their drill/drivers are superb. A main Makita 110v SDS cannot drill 6.5mm masonry holes as fast as a Hilti 15.6v battery hammer drill. Above 6.5mm SDS is better. That is why they are the choice of real professionals. One drill driver will give most of what many journeymen will want all in one drill.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Luck or planning? Good ploy though - I shall remember that one.

Oh good :-) Actually a very useful case though.

Indeed it is. The clutch mean you can screw flatpack together without destroying the chipboard.

Doesn't work like one though.

Always a downside..........

Neither did I till I got one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Same price points?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quality control is essentially defining what you are going to do, doing it and measuring that you are doing it.

There is nothing inherent in quality control that says that you can't make improvements or for that matter downgrade.

The "good enough" discussion is whether the customer will accept the product offering as being acceptable for his purposes or not and that varies by customer. It is the job of product managers to determine which set of customer requirements they wish to address and then to agree with engineering and manufacturing on how to achieve that and whether it's possible at the desired price, cost and margin levels.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, better than a Ryobi and a Makita and a DeWalt.

Matt, stop babbling.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't think so.....

Product name, spec. source and price, please.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you must stop thinking as it is no god for you....I don't think - I know.

hilti te6a and a hilti te7a. They are fully professional tools like the Kress high torque drill/driver with angle attachment. They are not PP Pro lookalikes, like Makita.

Ebay is full of them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not so sure. BMWs are very easy to maintain. As opposed to repair - which may of course not be necessary on either. For example the oil filter is mounted on the top of the engine and extremely simple to change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The te6a & te7a are 36v. This is the one, the SFH 151-A:

on Ebay for £325 "USED"!!!

Makita are medium trade at most. Hilti is the real McCoy when it comes to on site industrial power tank like tools. Festool for high precision workshop tools. A festool can't cope with what a Hilti can take on site.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Hilti te72 SDS. Knocks cobs off Makita, DeWalt and the other pro wanabees. It drills faster and outlasts them by 4 times as long or more. They can go all day and every day for 8 hours and still lasts and lasts. They are not cheap though. One guy on site with Hilti power tools said to me DeWalt was DIY stuff. :) He is not far off. Makita and DeWalt are only just above PP Pro, or whatever B&Q call them now (McAlister I think), when comparing to Hilti in build quality and performance.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't think you know either.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I always know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It certainly isn't a god for you, is it?

Sounds like you are promoting a new religion now. Are you going to hand out tracts with pictures of hacksaws?

Mainly imported from the U.S. However the models that you mention are 36v large machines which is not even in the same tool type category as Wickes assortment of private label offerings.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hilti actually offers quite a broad range of tools in the U.S., some good and some questionable. They haven't differentiated tools at different levels which is unwise.

Nonetheless, they do have some moderately good heavy duty products such as the 36v products.

That's a reasonable statement, but they are also suitable for specific site applications. For example, the C12 is a popular kitchen fitter's product because of th various angle and offset options.

The applications are different.

One would not use the 36v large range for site cabinet work any more that one would use a precision product for concrete breaking.

Well you might I suppose. You do have a bit of a... um... track record in that regard

Reply to
Andy Hall

Questionable? Matt, you had never heard of them until I told you. They were pretty well a one trick pony at one time with the Hilti explosive charge gun. They were into fixings - the guns and staples. I used it countless time. Very expensive but great and even drove nails into concrete. They saved so much time a job could be done in less than half the time. They had a heavy duty power drill but I never came across it. About 1990 they started on power tools seriously and kept to the same quality as the Hilti gun.

Matt, you haven't a clue!

The ultimate combi drill is the Hilti SFH 151-A. Not surprising that you have never heard of it and prattle about just above DIY Makita as it is the ultimate - ignorance is bliss to you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't be silly. Home Depot has a large selection of Hilti product and not all of it is of high quality. Take a look at HD's web site,

Reply to
Andy Hall