Any reccomendations for news group servers

Any recommendations for free text only news group servers which allow posting, as Zen are closing their service in a few months. Alternatively are these groups available via a different route, or are there better forums

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

news.individual.net

Not free. But cheap. And good.

Reply to
HarpingOn

+1 And they're good at filtering out cr*p. Ten euros a year isn't free, but it's close.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Albasani.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yep, individual is good.

If you want free, then

is pretty good. Needs registration but works ok most of the time (maybe once a month I get a refused connection due to load - wait 2 mins and it's fine).

It's all I use these days since we decommisioned our usenet server at the university - sad really, it was one of (or maybe *the*) first usenet services in UK :-(

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

aioe.org

Reply to
Adrian

Very good, I don't see any spam unless some berk quotes and/or responds to it.

Well worth E10 for the spam removal alone.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not sure how up to date the list is now:

(feel free to tweak if you find more)

Reply to
John Rumm

No-one has mentioned eternal-september.

Free, generally a good, spam free server. Occasionally there are time-outs, but it has been pretty reliable over the last 6 years or so. Currently using Giganews due to having lost my password. I wouldnt recommend Giga due to the spam, and unmoderated posts getting through to moderated groups.

Reply to
A.Lee

I used to use it for some groups, it's good as a freebie, but the outages became a bit too frequent, so I switched to giganews for everything.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Albasani, Eternal September. AO to name but three I have used. some do like to restrict the number of postings in a session for some reason, aybe its anti spam dunno. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 been impressed with them. Better than Eternal September.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Another vote for news.individual.net.

If you really need free then there's always news.aioe.org.

Reply to
Mark

I use aioe and news eternal september - both free. Neither carries all the groups I read - hence needing both. But you might be ok with just one. My software allows both to be used without duplicates - so if one happens to be down (rare) it will just use the other. Both seem ok spam wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

news.eternal-september.org is free, as is nntp.aioe.org

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I am a bit pissed with that. I only went with Zen as they used to do Binaries then they stopped that. Now they are stopping all new groups. the trouble is how do you change ISPs when you are using their email address.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Why on earth would you tie yourself to one ISP by becoming "dependant" on their email service?? I was a zen customer for many years but never used my zen email address.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well, quite.

And why would using one company for internet access and the same company for mail access mean you have to use the same company for usenet access...?

Reply to
Adrian

Sadly you have found out that was a mistake.

Set yourself up a personal domain using 123 Reg (I have no affiliation) and as part of that you can create one or more email addresses based on that domain and forward to a "real" email provider, be it Zen or Gmail.

Spend the next few months telling everyone - and then drop Zen.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Correct.

Personally I don't trust that Uncle Sam won't be watching, google certainly are and selling "anonymised" data sets. Except that by combining such data sets identities can be deduced.

Get your own domain name and either run your own mail server or use the possibly free mail service that comes with the domain name. Domain names are very cheap, a .co.uk can be had for £4.18/year (inc VAT) from 123-reg.co.uk, this gives a bit of web space and mail forwarding. Other providers are avaialble but I'd not touch anything to do with fasthosts with some one elses barge pole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice