Asphalt over old concrete driveway, contactor reccomendations, Newport News VA

Any contactor reccomendations? What should I ask for? How much asphalt? How can I be sure I am getting a good job?

I would like to put asphalt over my 50 year old concrete driveway, It has sagged a bit in the middle and now holds water. It has some sort of very thin coating on it( looks like 1/2 inch asphalt ) that is flaking off. This coating, according to my neighbor, was all the rage a couple of decades ago. The concrete seems to be OK, its cracked at the street end.

I've talked to a couple of contactors, one will pull a string to verify slope and will cut out the concrete near the garage to get a smooth transition between the garage and the driveway. One will just make a berm there. Neither will take up the flaking coating. He said I would get 2 inches of asphalt.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Get a concrete contractor

What should I ask for? A concrete driveway

How much

None

By getting it done in concrete

I bought a house with an existing asphalt driveway, expense, expense, expense. Do it right or fix it it concrete, and then ignore it it for 50 years.

Reply to
TimS

But what did YOUR existing asphalt driveway have under the asphalt? Most asphalt problems are actually from a bad base. The asphalt is only a shell to keep water and maybe some abrasion off the base, it cannot bridge across soft spot as homeowners often try to do.

The OP here, already has a great base: the concrete. He should be able to go over it with asphalt. The same is often done on highways.

-v.