Replacing pull cord on rotary mower.

Mountfield HP470.

The reel for the cord is riveted in position so is not easily removable and I can't see how to replace the cord.

Any ideas?

mark

Reply to
mark

A picture might help

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Here's a pic

mark

That's a cover for the reel not the reel. B-) The whole cover that it is riveted to will come off, see that nut beow the rivet and hole for cord? Start there.

Looks very much like a Briggs and Stratten engine, wander over to the B&S website and down load the exploded parts/engine manual for it. That'll give plenty of information about how it all goes together.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I found the B&S folks extremely helpful when I needed info. on a model that wasn't listed, they sent the stuff I wanted by return e-mail.

The model number is essential, though, it should be there on the engine somewhere.

Reply to
Davey

Brilliant! Have removed the main cover and have removed reel. Just need to get some cord. Correct, it is a B&S engine.

Thanks

mark

Reply to
mark

Somewhere being the operative word. There are guides on the website to show where they are found and which of the various numbers you'll find is the model number.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A pleasure.

100 m rolls on Amazon and other places for about £15.

Handle and 2 m of rope from B&Q £6.98.

Depending on your mower 2 m might be a bit short. It would be on mine as the pull handle is held at a covienent height half way up the handle not down on the engine casing.

Don't forget to thread it through the hole in the cover when reassembling. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice