Amusing narrowboat names

This is a cross-posting from the Waterways ng, but I've been at DIY long enough to know that many of you have a sense of humour and might enjoy a diversion.

I'm a freelance journalist, currently researching interesting/clever/rude narrowboat names for a magazine article. (Don't call them longboats - it upsets the Vikings!)

Examples so far include:

L'eau't Cuisine (a restaurant cruiser) Life O'Reilly Stougham Hall Shy Talk Dances With Ducks Sir Osis of the River Onion Bargee

Anyone spotted similar names?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

I must be missing something! I can only see anything vaguely amusing in 3 of of your 7 names (#s 1, 3 & 6). Maybe you need to spell out the hidden meanings?

Reply to
Set Square

Well, I did specify 'interesting/clever/rude', though 'amusing' might also be a useful quality. Nevertheless, I will spell out for you what, for me, makes each of the other names noteworthy:

  1. 'Life O'Reilly' - a reflection of the relaxed, easy - going nature of boating as a pastime?
  2. 'Shy Talk' - a not-very-well-hidden pun on 'Shite Hawk'? OK, maybe not to relevant to boats and boating.
5.'Dances with Ducks' - one of my favorites. Maybe the boat owner fancied himself as a lone hero in the style of 'Dances with Wolves', but let's face it, there are more ducks than wolves to be seen on Britain's canals!
  1. 'Onion Bargee' - an Indian curry-loving barge owner? (It's a pun, geddit?)

I've got a headache now.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

"Amusing" is what the title says!

Reply to
Set Square

It's a size of brush thing.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Far more interesting is

raden

Saw Sir Ossis this Summer, also

Kinell Ship Happens

Reply to
Zikki Malambo

How about the stark proletarian: Death by a Thousand Cuts

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Meanders. On a friends narrow boat.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

interesting/clever/rude

Surely "Me and 'Ers" would be more entertaining (assuming friend has a SWMBO)

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Well done Clive; You have figured out the pun. Meandering is what Me & 'Er do with their boat!