American toilets

I read a survey once where more people under about 30 (can't remember the exact age) thought that they would win the lottery in their lifetime than believed they would receive a basic state pension when they retired. The survey included people who don't enter the lottery.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And then only for a very short time.

The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I realised after I hit send that it might be difficult. But wind and water aren't as noisy as loudspeakers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL!

I worked out that we had made quite a lot of money by not doing the lottery.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Surely you didn't *make* money?

Reply to
Richard Conway

You would if you were a lottery grant consultant.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing across people's damp hands...

Reply to
Adam Funk

|On 2006-08-24, Mary Fisher wrote: | |> The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering |> wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ... | |The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing |across people's damp hands...

Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, notably those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

blowing

Indeed, many are beneficial to the body, anti-bodies do not just appear in the human body you know - as is now being found, being to clean can lead to health problems such as allergies etc.

Reply to
Jerry

|> Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, |notably |> those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli. |>

| |Indeed, many are beneficial to the body, anti-bodies do not just |appear in the human body you know - as is now being found, being to |clean can lead to health problems such as allergies etc.

Indeed, but my point is that both Yoghurt bacteria and most strains of e-coli are helpful to digestion.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

GEC merged with Marconi...who didn't collapse until this government..

Elliott and EE merged with ICT to form ICL. Do try and keep up. LEO were made by EE. Lyons closed under this government too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most went into the huge GEC / Weinstock empire, which was wrecked after he retired. A large chunk (the defence business) was then sold to BAe, the telecomms bit was left to almost disappear in a puff of bad management. I think the Metro Cammell bit is still around making trains.

I think Lyons went into ICL, which then tied up with Fujitsu.

I most of the above happened over an extended period and could not seriously be blamed on a particular government.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

So?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You have to fill in the time somehow if you don't watch that inane ball stuff on tv (which we don't have but I once saw it at a neighbour's, we had to keep dead quiet while the audience cheered - why?)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It annoys me when the press come out with 'there has been an outbreak of E. Coli' when a swab from most people's hand thatthey use to wipe their a*** will show E. Coli.

It is generally looked for in bathing/drinking waters as a sign of faecal contamination. If it was as rare and dangerous as the press seem to exagerate then it would be useless for that purpose.

Reply to
<me9

That wasn't the original "Marconi" it was a re-launching re-branding marketing exercise involving mostly bought in aquisitions. When I started work after Uni (1969) a great many ex Marconi engineers started with me on the same day.

Not exactly. The last proper LEO III left the LEO factory in 1967. Two years later ICL built 5 more LEO 326 units for the GPO because they couldn't/wouldn't wait for ICL's next new machine.

A victim of bad management, risky investments and the 1973 oil crisis.

:-(

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

The people who worked in Weinstock industries tend towards the belief that the first thing he did after taking them over was wreck them. "If Weinstock thinks Marconi's can make more profit making bath plugs then Marconi's will make bath plugs".

Harodl Wislon's appointment of trade union leader Frank Cousins (To be succeeded by Wedgy Benn { BARF} ) as Head of the new Ministry Of Technology didn't do much for the "White Hot Technological Revolution"

Derek ^

Depends what you mean by wrecked- the Weinstoch empire thrived and survived. It really went toes up after he left.

Actually, Weinstock was pretty good at recognising "core business" and turning a profit. It all fell apart when someone decided to split up the empire, flog off the profit making defence business, and invest in and focus on telecoms. The results of that are a matter of history.

Weinstock was shrewd, successful, and turned a profit. Dirty words to some people but he presided over an empire that kept many people in gainful employ for many years.

many contributors to the demise, the trade unions share the blame, as do "get rich quick" company boards and CEOs, not to mention governments who don't value UK plc.

The bad news is, worse is to come. The UK energy policy is wrecked, in the late 70s everyone said "no problem, we've 300 years of coal". So research was abandoned, the coal mines closed, the gas used more quickly, and we are on the point of being totally dependant on foreign energy. In a master stroke, Blair does a deal with the French (long known for their generous support of the UK) to manage an alternative.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Just don't read the press, it's not difficult.

Don't have television either, it's not difficult.

We do both and still manage to stay alive and have a good qauality of it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

|On 24 Aug, | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Indeed, but my point is that both Yoghurt bacteria and most strains of |> e-coli are helpful to digestion. | |It annoys me when the press come out with 'there has been an outbreak of E. |Coli' when a swab from most people's hand thatthey use to wipe their a*** |will show E. Coli.

What they mean is e-coli 0152 which is dangerous

|It is generally looked for in bathing/drinking waters as a sign of faecal |contamination. If it was as rare and dangerous as the press seem to exagerate |then it would be useless for that purpose.

Yes! But! they test for e-coli (any strain) because it is used as an indicator that there may be Salmonella, or Dysentery or worse.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop