All Part-P'd out...

Anyone notice this in the Part-P FAQ as per official documentation from ECA

12) Q. Will wholesalers and shops be stopped from selling electrical goods to the

general public?

A. No, because DIY electrical work will still be permitted. The hope is, however,

that most people will be discouraged from DIY work as a result of the

introduction of Part P.

Reply to
TonyK

Over reaction from the Nanny state, encouraged no doubt by death of an MP's daughter by faulty kitchen installer's handiwork. Number of deaths from electrical causes is relatively low, though ideally one is too many.

The ECA & NICEIC have been envious of control that Corgi rightly had over gas installations, and now effectively getting similar treatment. Original intention was that all installers should be certified by competent body, as happens in most of Europe already, N America; that was acceptable but now like Germany DIY Electrical work is restricted. So in Germany for Exterior lighting with PIR for example it will run on

12v DC supply, plugged into mains; DIY'er can work on 12v part, not on mains voltage end.
Reply to
barclayhomes

I bet they do.

The ECA was one of the main movers and shakers behind this nonsense.

Along the same lines, the Institute of Plumbers says that "putting up of a few shelves" is OK as a DIY task, but that plumbing needs a professional.

Expect them to launch their campaign any day now, backed up with the solid evidence that leaking plumbing causes dry rot and therefore thousands of deaths per year from people falling through floors.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Maybe plumbing is a task left for pros ;o). Spent a couple of days laying new pipe in kitchen and bathroom, only to find that the kitchen plumbing needs to be moved because of IKEA Bl**dy kitchen with no service void. At least if a pro did it I could get them to do it again...... Now I have to re-plumb :o( at least will be semi pro with all the soldering I'm doing think I will use pushfit copper next time.

Reply to
John Borman

The latter happened after Part P was published, though has been used to argue that Part P is a good thing [TM].

Reply to
Tony Bryer

wrote | Over reaction from the Nanny state, encouraged no doubt by death of an | MP's daughter by faulty kitchen installer's handiwork. | Number of deaths from electrical causes is relatively low, though | ideally one is too many.

If people grew their own tobacco the tobacco industry would be pressing for greater regulation. They don't, so the tobacco industry opposes regulation.

| Original intention was that all installers should be certified by | competent body, as happens in most of Europe already, N America; that | was acceptable

Unfortunately as seen with numerous tradesmen, being certified by a 'competent body' is no guarantee of competence.

| but now like Germany DIY Electrical work is restricted. | So in Germany for Exterior lighting with PIR for example it will run on | 12v DC supply, plugged into mains; DIY'er can work on 12v part, not on | mains voltage end.

We fought a war so that Britons could walk freely on British soil without the demand "papieren bitte!". An Englishman's home is his castle, and he should be allowed to rewire it if he wants.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Agree; ship's steward should return to being just that, not creating the empire that is the ODPM!!

Reply to
Gel

Cabin boy, more like. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well you all know where to put your X next May then !!!

Reply to
Mike

In message , Owain writes

You'd better join the war on ID cards then

Reply to
raden

In message , Mike writes

The problem is that I don't

unless there's a "none of the above" box

Reply to
raden

Indeed it is, until he tries to sell it.

Reply to
Mark Carver

"raden" wrote | > ... | You'd better join the war on ID cards then

I'm already fully occupied with the war on Chip N Pin :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My main debit card has been C&P since march 2003, Halfords were one of the very few shops that were geared up for C&P at that time, and my card was accepted in C&P mode there.

I thought it would just be a metter of time for other shops to convert, knowing that the "deadline" as as far as they are concerned regarding fraud liability was end of 2004.

Lots of shops (but not all, notably Sainsbury) *have* now changed over, but whenever I try to use it in C&P mode lately it can obviously be read via the chip (doesn't need to be swiped) but I still get asked to sign, never to enter PIN :-(

Barclays say nothing wrong with the card, it should be accepted for C&P, anyway it's silver stripe has worn off now, so replacement in post, hope that likes C&P better as presumably shops will start getting iffy about signing before too long?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Glad to hear it!

If you want a laugh, phone up your credit card companies & tell them that you don't want to have the possiblity of accidentally withdrawing cash from an ATM when you stick the wrong card in there ('cos the only way of remembering PINs for a multitude of cards is to set them all the same, right?) so you want the withdrawal limit setting to zero.

Think I'm going to glue a lump of plastic to the front of mine to stop them going into ATMs......

Reply to
RichardS

You could set them to be 4 digits the same followed by the last/first/middle/WHY? 2 digits of the relevant card. Except they're 4 digits only, aren't they? (spit)

Reply to
Huge

In message , raden writes

Spoil the paper e.g. mark all the entries. It then has to be counted and the result published, so you can publicly say 'none of the above' instead of 'I can't be bothered'.

I take the approach that, even if there's nobody I want to vote for, there's always at least one I definitely want to vote against.

Reply to
Joe

Yep, the card companies ignored all the advice they got from security professionals that a four digit PIN was as secure as a safe made out of cheese and went ahead anyway.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I went to B & Q quite recently, after Christmas, they don't or didn't use chip n pin when I went to pay for my purchases. Pretty good job really, 7 cards worth of numbers takes some doing....

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

I get a horrible feeling that the card companies are more interested in who pays for the fraud rather than preventing it in the first place.

Reply to
Howard Neil