Is it legal to DIY house wiring?

That's interesting. I *have* already started the work and I anticipate completing it by 31st March. Where will I stand after 31st of March? Will I need a certificate of conformity of any sort or not? Must I get the chocolate blocks exchanged for covered junction boxes if I finish the work by 31st March?

Thanks to the other respondees.

PG

Reply to
PG

Although I'm not a qualified electrician, I've done a fair bit of extra wiring in my house: extra sockets plus a 6mm feed to an electric shower and a 6mm feed to a cooker, etc. I did it all myself and it has proved 100% satisfactory.

Do such mods nowadays have to, by law, be done by a qualified electrician and/or done with buildings control approval?

The house is split into two flats and I now want to split the cirquit into two: one for each flat. If I do it all myself, will I encounter problems when selling the property soon afterwards?

I should also mention that when I bought the house in 1990, the wiring looked a bit amateurish to start with: the under-floor connections had all been done with 'chocolate blocks' for example. However, I've never had a problem with any of it.

Thanks for any clarification.

PG

Reply to
PG

It is "or". You can, therefore, do the work.

You will need to replace the chocolate blocks with crimps or accessible insulated junction boxes if you want the building control approval granted. There may be other things that need to be brought up to spec if there are bodges like this.

I assume you have planning permission to split into flats? There are also lots of other building regulations issues, such as noise and fire safety, which can be quite onerous to achieve.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

From 1st Jan 2005 yes, but if already started must be complete by 31st March

2005
Reply to
Dave Jones

This doesn't conform to existing regs - nor IMHO has it ever. Connections have always been done within some form of enclosure. At least for the last

50 years - and certainly since PVC cable arrived.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

don't "chocolate blocks" (I assume the OP mean "boxes" not "blocks") count as an enclosure ? if not ten what else should I use to extend cables ?

thanks LJ

Reply to
in2minds

They are not very enclosed

Junction boxes - e.g. the round ones where you rotate the top to get the required number of entries.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

No, because at that point the cable only has one layer of insulation for protection - the outer sheath has been removed.

A junction box is the usual way. However, if you wish to use choc blocks, you could simply put them and the cable inside a suitable box. 'Adaptable' boxes - available from your wholesaler would be ideal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ahhhhh... that's where the confusion comes in, I refer to junction boxes (with the twisting top) as chocolate boxes (because they're usually brown although lately I've only been able to get white).

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Whereas chocolate *blocks* are the long strip connectors which you cut up into shorter sections depending on how many connections are required. Connections made using these are not enclosed unless you put the whole thing inside a container of some sort.

Reply to
Set Square

Easy then. Stop doing it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can buy a clear plastic oblong case that snap closes around choccy blocks so then comply.

TLC sell them.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Woah there. Where did the second half creep in ? For all other work the relevant building regs are those at the date of application. I thought if started then there was no limit on Part P either ?

Reply to
Mike

But if you've started without making an application (because you didn't

*need* to apply at the time you started) then what?
Reply to
Andy Burns

You've started, so you can finish. As long as it is by the end of March

Reply to
Andy Hall

My renovation won't be finished for several years. A building notice was submitted two years ago and we've had several visits for structural work but obviously this had no mention of electrics as these weren't covered then. What then ?

Reply to
Mike

Sigh. Someone ought to write a summary of Part P for the FAQ - this question's going to be Aed quite F in the next few weeks, and will recur even after then at a somewhat lower F, I'd guess.

Any takers?

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:06:36 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes" strung together this:

Although the exposed cores within a twin and earth, not the conductors, need to be pretty short to fit inside one correctly, which it's unlikely that any connections under a floor will be made this tightly so you'll have to redo it anyway. While you're at it you may as well put a junction box on and do it properly.

Reply to
Lurch

We use chox boxes all the time so we dont have to carry loads of different types of jb.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

"Stephen Dawson" wrote | "Lurch" wrote | We use chox boxes all the time so we dont have to carry loads of different | types of jb.

You could do the same with cable and wire everything in 25mm tails :-)

| Stephen Dawson | Director | Fox Electrical Services Ltd | 34 Portchester Rd | Portsmouth | PO2 7JB | Tel 02392 615142 | Fax 02392 661931

I thought all numbers in 02x were three-digit code and eight-digit local number? Does dialling 615142 when in the 02393 'area' actually get you a connection?

Owain

Reply to
Owain