Aldi DIY this Thursday

Plenty of DIY on offer at Aldi this Thursday including decorating tools and a 3HP compressor and tools:

Aldi and Lidl seem to be obsessed with compressors and their tools. Do any normal people use these? What is a common task where compressed air would help?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

spraying paint

Reply to
charles

Cleaning down the bench or a circular saw, car tyres.

Reply to
Capitol

Car tyres, stapler, nail guns.

Reply to
fred

I use mine mostly for tyres, but also regularly use it for cleaning things by blowing crap away. Air impact wrench and driver get regular use around the Land Rover. The nail/staple gun paid for itself when building my workshop and gets regular use still. The spray gun that came with the compressor isn't up to much but it did do a good easy job of treating and re treating the shed and workshop timber cladding. I was given an air powered drill but I have yet to find any use for that.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Oh, right. Sorry.

Well, I use mine in the garage a fair bit. Tyre inflation, rattlegun, rust-proofing wax spraying, undersealing.

Oh, right. Common amongst these "normal" people... Umm...

Reply to
Adrian

The thing that puts me off sprayers is how difficult it may be to clean the gun.

Reply to
Broadback

Beware of the parking cameras at ALDI. If you've shopped there before, you' ll know they get busy at weekends and they don't have enough tills to cope. I got a £70 fine for parking there too long. Well done ALDI....you lost a regular customer!

I have a compressor exactly the same as that (except mine is red and didn't come from ALDI....and cost twice as much!). The compressor is great but yo u'll need a trolley to carry it. Its heavy! Also, don't bother with the bun dle of tools that has a tyre inflator in...they're junk!

Reply to
paul.walton.uk

I've got one of the Aldidl compressors from a few years back - rebadged Wolf - and it's not only got wheels, but I can carry it single-handed. But (looks at link) the current one is beefier - mine's 2.5hp, 25l tank, this one's 3hp/50l. Twice the price, too... Hmm. Should I upgrade...? NO. Stop it. Don't even think it.

Reply to
Adrian

Air tools are rather cheaper and more robust than electric, so ideal in a workshop.

But most of the compressors you see in Lidl etc would struggle to run them. This Aldi one looks rather better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did you actually shop there or give up?

Lidl have just introduced a similar scheme - and not before time. Numberplate recognition cameras, and you get 'logged in' by giving the reg number at the checkout. If it stops people just using the carpark, I'm all in favour.

However, if I'd overstayed their 'limit' *while shopping in their store* and they tried to fine me I'd take them to court.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've no garage, so no room for a full size compressor. But got one of the Lidl suitcase ones last year. Big enough for a blast of air to clean things - and also worked fine for spraying wax inside the car body sections. Also pumps up tyres many times faster than a 12v one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a 'Civil Parking Fine' a few years ago when parking in a Lidl store - I was doing a mixture of Lidl and non-Lidl shopping & got back 5 mins late.

I challenged the notice and didn't hear back from them. I try not to take t he p*ss when parking on shop premises etc. so felt reasonably justified in not giving in to the fine the one time. Worth trying, anyway, and it is d-i

-y!

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Nailing, spraying etc as others have said, but the main benefits are that you can use air tools continuously without them over heating and the tools are very cheap compared to electric.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Those tickets from private parking companies are unenforceable. Don't pay them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Shot basting, painting, sanding, nailing, blowing up tyres. You can add drilling, sawing, etc. in wet places where electric tools fear to tred.

Reply to
dennis

Unless you got the fine at the checkout would it not be better to let them take you to court for overstaying your parking?

Reply to
ARW

Ring Aldi Head Office and tell them what happened. They'll ask you to quote various bits and pieces from your till receipt and then cancel the

*parking charge* (it's not a fine).

Worked when Management overstayed and seemed not be in the least unusual...