A nuisance caller got through TruCall

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.

Reply to
Chris Green

With BT caller display isn't a standard feature. You have to ask for it and IIRC pay too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But unless they change their number you zapped him for next time. In fact the hash idea only stops pre recorded calls, humans can use hash or if this is switched off, not press it, it matters not. The ones that can get through seem to be the ones that change their number all the time, but at present these are very very rare, as time is money to these people and for them simply moving on is easier than going through to you via say name, as they will obviously know what you will do when they start their pitch. That is where the system relies on the human factor. My big issue is this. I'm not getting calls I should because organisations like NHS will just put the phone down not realising its just screening the call, and they often display no number either as its through a switchboard. They hence seem to give up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

It was free on Talktalk, you just needed to select it. Now on Plusnet, they charge us 99p per month for the feature, but it is essential to allow the Trucall to do its magic.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Brian Gaff wrote on 11/11/2016 :

Well the vaste majority of such callers do use pre-recerded now.

They don't change actual numbers, they change the spoofed number, the number presented as caller ID - which takes them seconds to do.

Which is where giving such organisations a mobile number, as an alternative, works.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My large doctor's surgery contacted me recently about a flue jab. They too have a switchboard with outgoing only lines (or whatever) that show up as withheld. But the receptionist had no problems with my Truecall. I'd guess anyone who used the phone a lot for this sort of things would be used to it.

It's a reason I got the stand alone unit which allows you to copy and paste your phonebook into it online. I can imagine some of my old work colleagues being thrown by it. The sort who phone up for a chat once in a while. Hence wanting my entire phone book in the system - which would have taken for ever to enter manually.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Chris Green

Depends what you pay for the phone. I've always just grabbed the cheapest phone possible, or sometimes gone for a cordless. It's just a bloody phone, I don't need chrome plated edging.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

:

It's either 50p or =A31 a month.

-- =

Hit the button marked 'STOP' with remaining hand.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

... and what does your mobile cost?

Reply to
Chris Green

e:

It was free. My neighbour has one of those expensive contracts which gi= ves him a new one every couple of years. They don't want the old one ba= ck.

But any price of mobile will give you caller ID.

-- =

Riots in Birmingham last month caused over =A31 million worth of improve= ments.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine costs nothing., I never use it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was free to you, I've acquired all sorts of phones that way but it doesn't really mean much. A mobile phone is fundamentally a much more expensive device than a POTS one.

Reply to
Chris Green

No running costs, but the hardware?

Reply to
Chris Green

e:

rote:

nuisance calls,

No it isn't. I can get unlimited texts and 4 hours of calls to anything= per month for only =A35. You can't even get line rental for that.

-- =

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason -- Benjamin Frankli= n

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've seen basic ones for a tenner in Asda. Including some calls.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

IIRC that was £19.50

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. £12 versus £4 parts cost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps he used to be a Smoker or the latest stop smoking therapy is a bit more forceful than hypnotism.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

With BT its free if you find the right web page to sign up for it.

Reply to
alan_m