Subject Author Posted Replies

traditional ropes
I am involved in a project to put some small wooden structures like nesting boxes out in some woodland. The Desire is that they should be 100% (or at least 99%) biodegradable, so they last as long as...
69
69

OT: Hair Trimmers
Having discovered how relatively easy it is to use my beard trimmer to cut my hair, I don't think I will be going back to the barber again, even when times improve. Done weekly, it remains moderately...
13
13

Enlarging a hole in a wall.
I have a (tiled) block cavity wall with a 100mm dia. hole in it, for a fan. I want a concentric 150mm hole (for a bigger fan duct). It seems to me a well-fitting cylinder (?mandrel) with an axial...
12
12

RCD protected socket.
Have a two gang RCD protected metal clad socket in the conservatory which has failed - RCD will no longer latch on. It is part of one of the kitchen rings which isn't RCD protected at the CU - it...
19
19

Removing smoker smells from hardware?
Yesterday a good friend (but regular smoker) dropped off one of those USB/PC oscilloscopes. Bringing it in the house reminded me how much stuff from his place stinks of smoke, because they both smoke...
16
16

Data over mobile network
This might be a very silly question:-) Is there a device/way of paralleling mobile phone connections to boost data rate? Possibly in connection with gaming activities. Long shot question but my...
35
35

Scroll saw cutting 3mm aluminium sheet
Is it possible? Will it work? I have a panel to cut out and some of the shapes are a bit awkward. Bill
10
10

Flooring a loft
From around the beginning of February, Mrs P and I will be moving into a bungalow that is in need of lot of work. I do not yet know how old it is but I am guessing from between mid-60s to early 70s....
20
20

Rubbish metal back boxes
Doing a rewire with steel conduit for the drops. Now what sort of a company puts the 25mm knockouts at different levels on the 1g and 2g sockets so that whey you link them with a bush and coupler they...
4
4

OT Just passed a house with the Christmas decorations up
Wankers.
26
26

Wickes cordless drill.
I have an ancient 18v one of these - uses Ni-Cads. All the batteries for that - including the one I had refurbished at vast cost - are pretty well dead. And the refurbished one never delivered the...
14
14

OT Epson Print Driver
Hi Guys I am trying to get an old Epson D68 printer working with Windows 10. The driver offered by Epson is described as a software updater which is not even seeing the device Is there a source of...
11
11

OT Could be bit parky in Canada this winter
The BBC have reported a moderate to strong La Nina for winter 2020/21 and the last time we had a strong-ish La Nina was 2010 ?. That was a cold winter for us in the UK, though in the article the Met...
7
7

OT Soundbars with multiple HDMI inputs and one output
Effectively what I would like is a decent soundbar that also has a built-in HDMI switch, so that I can connect STB, BluRay player and TV. At the moment I use a 32 inch IPS monitor connected directly...
10
10

Number Lock on Win10
My laptop running Win 10 seems to have a mind of its own as regards Num Lock. And no obvious indication when it is on or off. I only ever use the numbers side, so would like it to stay on except by...
4
4