OT Could be bit parky in Canada this winter

The BBC have reported a moderate to strong La Nina for winter 2020/21 and the last time we had a strong-ish La Nina was 2010 ?. That was a cold winter for us in the UK, though in the article the Met Office seem to be predicting a warmer winter in Europe. ??

Time to get those 3-way valves working properly ?.

Andrew

months before 'the beast from the east' hit us in early 2018, and before that, a bit stronger in 2010 as you say. It's already unusually cold in parts of North America

and NOAA is predicting colder in the North, warmer in the South

Chris Hogg

Thanks for the link.

Looks as though the Farage Garage may be knee deep in snow as well.

Happy Days

Dave R

Reply to
David

Last La Nina year was, I think, 2015-16. Which wasn't, from memory, a particularly cold winter.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

2015-16 was an El Nino, not La Nina.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well we can look forward to continent wide power cuts as the European grid fails under the impact of EU mandated renewable energy, then..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are surely not suggesting we will now be better off?

Although I see the media are now floating the idea that Sizewell C might get some form of government support. Personally I am not sure that ABWR or AP1000 might not be a better call (even though that involves yet another design).

(Actually I think Hualong One might be the one that wins in the end, but of course it won't be here).

Reply to
newshound

We have the chance to be yes. By the sheer fact of geographical isolation we are more self contained than Europe is. We have the chance to ditch te whole renewable obligation nonsense and phase out renewable bollocks and put windmills back in museums where they belong.

Don't give a f*ck what it is as long as it uses uranium to boil water. The things are so heavily regulated there is no chance of it going pop, so whatever is cheapest. I'd favour ABWR on the grounds of it just being a big pot of hot water with some uranium in the middle. And hence cheap..

I think that looking at all the issues, political and engineering SMRs of some sort will win. For the next decades. Then breeders of some sort, them fusion in a hundred years

If the Mohammedans don't outbreed sane people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher