Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came across this at CPC:-

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

Reply to
Chris Green

Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net posted

I doubt if there any safety concerns if you use a fused spur, but the

65W power output doesn't really support its claims of "fast heating". It's about the same as a not very bright light bulb.
Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

With that IP rating I doubt it will but aside from that if you are hoping something like that will heat your bathroom then forget it. At our last house we installed a tall ladder type radiator plumbed into the CH and it?s heat output was nothing compared to the smaller bog standard radiator in our present house.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes, 65 watts isn't much, we're not expecting it to make the (small) room feel warm but it will dry the towels.

Reply to
Chris Green

Quite. It's not easy to find the heat output into the room of a towel rail with towels on it.

I did the same as you - and soon fitted an additional rad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

where are you going to plug it in? ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

You can get them up to at least 200W which would do a better job as a towel heater, as we did. Doesn't warm the room much though.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

I would not be happy fitting that in a bathroom even with the plug chopped off and using a FCU.

Probably safe in a toilet if your aim is OK:-)

Reply to
ARW

Yes, in my view if you want to heat a bathroom you will need at least 750 watts. This may well warm something placed over it, but little else unless somebody has invented a super efficient heating device you might as well stick a 100 watt bulb in a box. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They are called 'towel warmers' for a reason, that's all they do

Reply to
Andrew