Subject Author Posted Replies

HRH Prince Philip.
Just heard a recording of him on R4 saying the main problem the world faced was increasing population. Good to know he did his bit, then. ;-)
5
5

Separating the pages of fully flood-soaked books , that later totally dried out?
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages. Next book,...
10
10

Load bearing 5*2 1080 centres
I'm trying to work out what weight can be safely put on timbers supporting a shallow sloping roof. I potentially need to get up on the roof to service the plastic covering and also the flashings at...
9
9

shame that
he won't be getting a telegram from the queen now...
22
22

Multitool recommendation
The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't find a replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly pricey for their stuff. Any recommendations? I see Makita...
8
8

Lidl and Aldi today
Managed to resist the (naked) battery SDS at Lidl for £60. They had some batteries and single and double chargers. Bought a digital clamp meter for £13. Only AC amps (to 600) but has separate leads...
7
7

Ejecting the ballast?
Whilst out for some exercise earlier I collected the 4 x 6' LED fluorescent tube > LED replacements from a mate, along with the 4 'Fuse' / starter replacements. Energizer, S9914 T8 30W 40000K. When we...
4
4

Chiming clock always stops at the same time - but only at night
We have a (clockwork) chiming clock. A few months ago it was cleaned and re-fettled by a clock restorer (previously it didn't go at all). After several months, it has begun stopping. Clearly it will...
11
11

AliExpress log in
Not used the site for a while, but I had an account. I wanted to order some electronics (DIY element?), wireless processor module and an Arduino display module for a gadget I am building - so had to...
25
25

Cleaning a polycarbonate sloping roof
We have a polycarbonate sloping roof over out deck and side passage. Over time it gets lichen (I think) growing on it, possibly algae too. Looking for ways to clean it (beyond just a brush and hose...
10
10

Full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor
Am I correct in saying that it does not matter if there is a LN reversal on the input? It will always have a correct +/- DC voltage.
40
40

Hotpoint fridge filtered water issue
We have a mega Hotpoint fridge, American style with two doors, wide fridge, narrow freezer and with an ice and filtered water dispenser. About every 6 months a light comes on to tell us to change the...
6
6

my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power
my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power - anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another? I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws, wish I'd stopped when it got hot... must I...
5
5

From comp.risks
The Bundesrechnungshof, Germany's federal financial watchdog, has stated that "the safe and affordable supply of electricity is in increasing danger" due to Germany's Energiewende (energy transition)....
1
1

Expansion vessel. Rookie mistake
Our mains pressure HW system has an external expansion vessel. Lately it?s not being doing its job and water has been trickling through the pressure relief valve whenever it was heating up. I had...
15
15