my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power

my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power - anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws, wish I'd stopped when it got hot... must I buy another, and how to do it better next time, and is there a better tool to buy?

George Miles

Did it recover on cooling down? Or are you saying it still works, but with less "oomph".

Reply to
newshound

Reply to
George Miles

Not often you see mains ones... [1]

But if a it got hot enough to short an armature winding, then yup it may still spin but will be really rough, lack power, and you may see lots of sparks from the commutator.

So check the brushes, and if those look good, suspect the armature. Looks like they are fairly cheap to replace.

I would expect the process to be similar to what I did on my SDS:

[1] the extra control electronics in the modern battery ones will usually shut them down if things get too hot, before damage occurs.
Reply to
John Rumm

Old oak is really tough stuff. Only drilling and through bolting with coach bolts or threaded bar is going to work.

Self drilling screws only work on modern wimpish softwood.

Reply to
Andrew

Is it a brushed motor? If so surely these should be replaced. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa