Subject Author Posted Replies

Best old paint removal tool on salvaged timber?
The flat below me is getting a big refurb. I asked if I could raid the skip. Now I have lots of door linings and simple bull nosed architrave covered in paint. In my younger days I've resorted to...
13
13

Microwave malarky.
So it was making an odd noise, and not heating the food, light comes on, steel turntable revolves, beeper sounds at end of cook time. Check HV fuse. Blown. Aha, replaced, it's done that before, should...
55
55

How do you memorise 6-digit authentication codes?
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456? It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to...
42
42

Chainsaw lessons
As I mentioned my Bosch 1750W electric chainsaw died a while back. I asked a local chap, Eric, ? who has a tree surgeon business ? for advice, and I struck gold. I'd got it in my head that I needed a...
28
28

Question about water-based paint
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if...
15
15

Lekky chainsaw, mini review
Since there has been some discussion here recently, I thought some might be interested in a review of my new toy, a Makita DUC306Z - a 36V top handled[1] saw. Vis: that some of these observations are...
4
4

Vegetarians Have Better Cholesterol Levels
Vegetarians have more favorable levels of a number of biomarkers including cardiovascular-linked ones ? total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and apolipoprotein A and B ? than...
51
51

Garage door sensor current draw
Just did the measurements. Results: Door partially open: 4.5mA Door ascending: 4.5mA Door descending: 30mA Door open and stopped: 4.5mA Door closed and stopped: 4.5mA So it's clever enough not to...
8
8

Fan 'always on' AMI BIOS Pavillion
New laptop, busy setting it up and I'm finding the fan noise very annoying and constant on mains. On battery it is intermitant. In the BIOS I found a setting 'Fan always on' with the option of on/off....
6
6

SMPSU
Mate rang last night asking for something to be designed and 3D printed and this morning sent me a diagram with vernier caliper measured dimensions for me to work from. I designed and started the...
22
22

Scrap metal run
I've a few bits of scrap copper piled up and sat there for years, so I thought I would enquire about disposing of it. For anyone considering doing the same and curious about the process, they need...
7
7

Replacing some of the roof tiles in a column of tiles
We have a roof that is tiled with curved interlocking tiles which have a profile like a very shallow sine wave. The mortar alongside the sloping edge of one side has started crack and come out, and I...
2
2

OT: Customs duty, a cautionary tale
Recently, I ordered something (costing about £700) from the Czech republic and have just been sent a demand for £143 duty and handling from DHL. My choices are to refuse the shipment, which means I...
61
61

Pipe joins and pipe sizing for heating oil
I need to re-route the pipe running between the oil tank and my 50kW boiler. I see that inserts are now recommended in soft copper pipe to prevent the pipe from distorting - but these reduce the bore...
12
12

22 million in one city: Will it "fix itself"?
Years of Unheeded Warnings. Then the Subway Crash Mexico City Had Feared. By Abi-Habib, Lopez, Kitroeff & Ives, 5/4/21, NY Times The capital had been bracing for the disaster for years. Ever since it...