Replacing some of the roof tiles in a column of tiles

We have a roof that is tiled with curved interlocking tiles which have a profile like a very shallow sine wave. The mortar alongside the sloping edge of one side has started crack and come out, and I notice that a few of the tiles on that edge have crumbled leaving only edge closest to the mortar.

What is the trick for removing some of a vertical column of tiles to replace them, without having to remove the ones beside them to reveal the peg that each end tile is hooked onto (or the nail that is fastening it to the rafter), and then remove the column next to that, and so on ad infinitum?

is a sketch of the roof, a single-slope (ie not ridged) roof on a brick lean-to that is attached to a much larger garage.

Reply to
NY

NY a écrit :

I've done a bit at home, for myself and I made the tools I though necessary....

I used some 4mm x 25mm flat strip into which I cut a right angle notch out the side, to hook onto nails. Hooking that on and pulling/twisting, released the nails. I later improved on it, by welding on a short handle at the other end, to make twisting it easier.

When it came to flaunching along the edge, I made up a 3' long guide to do it with. Two 3' lengths of 30mm angle iron, one facing one way to sit on the tiles, the other facing towards the operator, to act as the guide. Simply sit it on the tiles and fill up to the face of the angle, compact and smooth with a plastering float, leave it a few hours to set, then slide it along to do the next bit. Leave to long and your guide will be well stuch! I did it 20 years ago and it's still perfect.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.,

With flat tiles, I have been able to replace a tile in the middle of the roof by raising the tiles above a little bit. Enough to unhook the broken tile. Maybe you can do something similar. Do you have a ridge tile that you can remove?

With regard to the roof edge, google for 'plastic roof verge' and get

There are also straight plasic verges.

Reply to
Michael Chare