Fan 'always on' AMI BIOS Pavillion

New laptop, busy setting it up and I'm finding the fan noise very annoying and constant on mains. On battery it is intermitant.

In the BIOS I found a setting 'Fan always on' with the option of on/off. Setting it from its default on to off, it does seem a bit slower/quieter. Am I OK to do this?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.,

Yes, it won't cause a problem.

If the CPU heats up then the fan will come on to cool it. It's possible - likely, if you're a heavy CPU user - that the fan won't be on all the time but runs much faster when it does come on.

There'll be a cutoff point where the PC will power off if the CPU gets too hot.

I use a monitoring tool HWINFO to see CPU core temps, fan speeds etc. It's at

but if you're wary (as I am) of clicking random URLs then Google for Dell HWINFO, the link 'Steps for analyzing overheating or loud fan...' points to a Dell site which references (and links to) HWINFO. So a more believable source than a random Usenet reply :-)

Reply to
Scion

I use Core Temp which is freeware. It's compact, gives the CPU temperature and clock frequency.

It is worth looking at Windows power settings where you can choose a setting for CPU speed according to demand.

Reply to
Fredxx

Fredxx a écrit :

Got it :-)

This -

Dropping the max on mains power to 80% brought peace and quiet. At that, the fan throttles back to barely a whisper, with <30C core.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.,

If its still put on if needed then probably, but the machine in the always off position may throttle back the processor to keep it cooler instead of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My 2p's worth: I like

monitoring temperatures, will put output in the task bar and has a widget for the desktop.

Reply to
Allan

The default for Windows 10 is CPU min 5%. I'm surprised you've had to change it.

Did you notice he uses Core Temp too?

Reply to
Fredxx