Subject Author Posted Replies

[OT] E10 and all that
I have a four-year old Kia Niro. I have only done just over 11,000 miles to date. This is partly owing to trying to walk amuch as possible and one of the results of the pandemic. However, up to two...
20
20

OT: House inflation
not often you see a house so totally demolished by a gas explosion. Windows out, roof off, gables blown off yes, but total demolition is less common. I wonder what factors made it so devastating in...
63
63

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
the very ones who keep hailing our wonderful diverse society no longer want to meet their hallowed diverse society face to face whatever could be wrong...
20
20

[OT] Pointless bus/cycle lanes
road was closed for a while and afterwards I was baffled by this short strip of cycle lane. And i'm not alone it seems. There is much of this locally, it's the same with the bus lanes, there's not...
76
76

[OT] Files in the 'cloud'?
I'm working more from home these days, much of what I do is cloud based, banking/bookeeping etc but I will occasionally need a document on my work PC. In this case I'll end up sticking it on a...
40
40

[OT] Octopus Energy rates for Avro transferees (2023 Update)
It's the Flexible Octopus October 2021 v2 tariff: Electricity Unit rate: 21.41 p/kWh Standing charge: 25.66 p/day Gas Unit rate: 4.15 p/kWh Standing charge: 26.11 p/day
25
25

OT: Prescription Glasses - the second
As there seems to be some expertise on glasses here; does anyone know if I can ascertain from my recent prescription whether my distance vision is above 0.5 on the Snellen scale? I ask because...
24
24

Bloody keyboards, stiff keys.
A few weeks ago, I managed to spll drink into my keyboard (the one I'm using now). So, I washed it out, as you do, and let the bits dry outside, and put it back together. It works, but I'm getting fed...
9
9

OT: house insurance question
We have had a crack in our house - a surveyor looked, monitored it and said there's nothing needs doing. But obviously we have had some minor subsidence. We didn't contact the insurance co. over it -...
13
13

OT: Ambitious DIY.
on earth is the timber construction on top for, just for starters? There are fears that it is unsafe as well as ugly
10
10

Raising dents in wood block floor
As header. My 21st birthday party allowed the guests to dance on a pitch pine woodblock floor. Those who can remember 1964 will know that stiletto high heels were fashionable:-) The damage has been...
29
29

Electrics, insulation, plasterboard....
So. Yes, new workshop walls. Looks as there'll be 25mm Jblite EPS 70, thn rockwool 50mm, then Visqueen, then plasterboard. Ceiling, maybe 150mm Isover glassfibre loft insulation, Visqueen,...
24
24

Tap reseating
Dripping taps so bought the packaging doesn't say it is not 451S export model and only an SKU number is given with a warning that the 451S is not for use in the UK. Apparently this is the way Monument...
6
6

sheared bolt
Handle on Altendorf saw side fence sheared off (This handle only requires finger tip pressure to lock but ........ wasn't me guv. The original machine operator never broke it in 15 years. His...
9
9

OT: Is your VPN spying on you?
I think increasingly people want to be able to pretend to be in different countries to get around arbitrary things like what happened to Tune in radio in the uk courtesy of Sony and Warner, merely due...
8
8