Subject Author Posted Replies

3/4" olives
I've just got a couple of brass 3/4" olives to fit new 22mm compression fittings to old 3/4" pipe. I see that one end has a much longer taper than the other whereas standard 22mm olives are either...
3
3

Always make sure you secure cans of paint before driving
Ouch... or
2
2

Barometer Dismantling
Hi all Back again with the old baro! So I decided to take a peak last night to see if the chain was crudded up or the bellows unit shot. But fell at the (almost) first hurdle. Unscrewed three screws...
17
17

Cleaning Scotchguarded carpets?
I have carpets with Scotchguard. Her indoors is always on about cleaning them. I saw an article today which recommended the VAX (Which - 'best buy'), but it pointed out that it removes the...
6
6

Wind turbine kills rare bird
I shit you not, some bird that hasn't been seen in the UK for 22 odd years, makes it over from Siberia to the isle of Harris, goes about doing what birds do, just flying about minding it's own...
31
31

What power for wire brush and mop?
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a bench grinder but only equip it with a wire brush (or brushes) and / or a brush and polishing mop. I'm not predicting industrial levels of use but I have a feeling...

Steam cleaner for carpets?
We have some high traffic areas that could do with a clean but not enough to justify reting a carpet doctor machine. Are steam mops any good for this sort of job? Something like this: Tim
4
4

Lintel choice & design for window cut into garage wall
Hello, I wish to install a couple of windows (approx. 90cm. wide)into a single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a store-room/workshop. The garage is typical 60s design on...
2
2

Sealing between bath and wall.
What is the best way to seal between a straight bath and a wall. I shall be fitting a new bath and tiling round it. Options that I can think of are : a) Use plastic tile trim around the rim of the...
13
13

Rising damp (or lack of)
Afternoon all, We had a purchase on our house fall through as the chap who did the homebuy ers survey recommended that a damp proof course be installed as there were signs of rising damp in both the...
26
26

Garden Studio - Options for internal walls/ceiling
Apols if this shows up twice but I thought I had posted this yesterday! I'm having an artist?s studio built in the garden. It's for my wife - she paints. The building is 6M x 4M, is on a concrete base...
15
15

SDS drill repair
Is it worthwhile repairing an SDS drill? My venerable Wickes (Kress) SDS has died. It makes hammering noises but no longer impacts the bit. In the bumf there is detail about servicing and repair. It...
15
15

OT Hatched egg count before don't your they've
Rearrange the above into a well known phrase or saying. On the Beeb teletext thing this morning Frack gas. One can see our gov. is getting it's knickers in a twist about something that may be there...
1
1

Steel angle iron vs square bar
I recently put up a couple of standard 2m fence panels; they stand at the edge of a reasonably substantial drop though, so it's really important they don't get pushed over (TBH I think I now regret...
15
15

SDS drill sizes
I am digging some fence post holes using an auger and have hit a couple of stones 18 inches down just cant shift them so looking to get a longer SDS chisel off ebay to deal with it. They advertise as...
9
9