Subject Author Posted Replies

I see no complaints about the BBC's
coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc, over Xmas. Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's misfortune? Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load...
34
34

Belt sander - rent or buy?
I've got several floors with pine boarding, probably Victorian. They've collected all sorts of stains and paint over the years, and we want to sand them flat(ter), and to an even colour. This will...
14
14

Storm power outages
In listening to the reports of people without power for the last couple of days am I alone in thinking that complaining about a service with a 99.98% up-time reliability is a bit of a moan. (Guessing...
54
54

f plugs: zinc or brass?
Hello, I was looking to buy some f plugs, coax to f type adaptors, couples, etc. and see that they are available in nickel plated brass or zinc. Is there any difference? Google said zinc was softer...
21
21

Leaking around uPVC window - advice appreciated
I raised this in another thread, where I asked about resealing the silicone around a uPVC window. Since then, another window in the same wall has also started to leak through the top junction with the...
16
16

Valve to toilet leaking
Isolation valve with tap which connects to bottom of toilet inlet. Tried removing, reapplying PTFE but still leaking. Any ideas? I guess only option it to completely replace valve? Only problem is its...
5
5

Clear, liquid waterproofing solutions
Can anyone recommend either of these products for waterproofing an asbestos roof that has started allowing rainwater to bleed through? There is Everbuild Water Seal from ToolSattion: and "No Nonsense"...
15
15

Reinsforcing a crack in screed before tiling
Back to building matter after Xmas... I have just dried out the screed in the conservatory, ready for tiling... I have a fine (0.5mm) raggety crack across the width of the floor. It's clear why, in...
49
49

Door Bells
I have an urgent need for a new door bell/chime. It needs to be loud, and have a flashing light. And I need to be able to buy one in the South Bucks area tomorrow, or Winchester area on Saturday. And...
5
5

OT. Read your bible and make money.
http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/uwr/video_money_codea.cfm?promo_code=15FF2-1
8
8

More waste...
Consumers face paying hundreds of millions of pounds in unnecessary energy bill levies to fund household ?smart meter? displays that companies have warned could be largely redundant
2
2

Central heating inhibitor recommendation
I need to add inhibitor to a central heating system that's been drained. Any Toolstation or Screwfix products that are worth consideration? I've only ever used it in an unpressurised system by pouring...
6
6

Tile adhesive recommendation
I have eight 'heavy' 400mm x 400mm wall tiles to fit in a bathroom refurb. Anyone care to recommend an adhesive? Something from Toolstation or Screwfix would be mildly preferable in terms of adding it...
2
2

PV panels
Are your PV panels facing the right way? Heh Heh. http://smartertrends.co.uk/articles/2013-11-20/why-your-solar-panels-are-likely-facing-the-wrong-/original/?original=www.planetizen.com/node/66125
41
41

mixed blessing...
Noting the comment about supply interruption compensation elsewhere I wondered if this would extend to a BT engineer error cable fault. Open Reach turned up on the 23rd. to sort a fault complaint from...
35
35