f plugs: zinc or brass?

Hello,

I was looking to buy some f plugs, coax to f type adaptors, couples, etc. and see that they are available in nickel plated brass or zinc. Is there any difference?

Google said zinc was softer and would wear but I'm not sure whether they are pure zinc or an alloy; the latter might be more durable? For domestic use where they are not going to be unplugged repeatedly, I can't see this is an issue; is it?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
reply

I'd guess the zinc is zinc alloy which casts easily - Mazak or something - and also breaks easily. But cheaper than brass. Unless there really is a big difference in price which is critical I'd get the brass ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Zinc alloy may be cheaper to make, but more prone to break or deteriorate.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

I would personally avoid the zinc ones in case there is corrosion on the thread contact with the socket due to dissimilar metals. The brass has got to be a better bet unless the cost is really critical.

Reply to
nemo

My last lot came from Screwfix and seemed to be pretty good quality (a couple of years ago). Read the reviews - I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was something about the description not being accurate and another sort was needed (for my purpose).

Reply to
PeterC

Brass for screw-on, aluminium for crimps.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Brass it will be then. Thanks everyone.

BTW the costs are more or less the same for brass or zinc (the difference is pennies), so no reason to choose on the basis of cost.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
reply

PS I was looking at the CPC web site. Why is it that an adaptor that has an f socket on one end and a coax socket on the other end is only

25 pence but to go from an f socket to a coax plug is over a pound? I expected the plug option would be more popular considering that tvs and recorders require a plug input but I suppose people use the right plug rather than use an adaptor.

What doesn't help is that there is not one name for the plugs (and sockets) that are traditionally used for televisions. On cpc I have seen uhf, coax, and pal all used as different words for the same thing.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
reply

They were traditionally known as Belling-Lee connectors. Perhaps they still exist and object to that name being used apart from genuine ones.

IMHO, they are one of the nastiest connectors around. Right up there with SCART and DIN. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SCART is quite reliable provided you aren't stupid enough to buy gold plated ones as they don't mix well with proper tin coated ones. There are a lot of nasty ones about that don't use proper scart cable (yes there is cable specifically made for scart). A good quality scart cable will set you back a couple of quid.

Reply to
dennis

Which DIN standard did you have in mind?

UHF, coax and PAL are all of course wrong. UHF being the frequency they are sometimes used for (but I have one here for my VHF aerial...) coax is the cable, and as for PAL - They have plugs that only support one obsolete TV standard?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I used to have a Bush record-player that used Belling-Lee connectors for its Aux In and Out.

They're good for a couple of amps at mains as long as you remember that screen goes to Neutral.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Having used a few of the F plug to Belling socket in the last few days, I have found that the F contact is very iffy unless you tighten them up with a spanner. Personally I prefer Belling plugs with a soldered connection, which IME gives less noise than the F plug/socket connection.

Reply to
Capitol

CPC sell different ranges of the same types of connectors, at different prices. Not all connectors are available in all ranges.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Damn, I thought I was bad as a kid. But never would I have tried using those as mains plugs lol

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I thought the criticisms are about the poor connection between the cable and the plug? If you have one where you solder or screw the wire to the plug, are they really that bad?

What is wrong with DIN? Are you meaning the five pins in a semicircle din?

Reply to
reply

That's the 180deg one. I've always (since I was a teenybopper) used them for my 12V vehicle aux sockets and plugs. Never had a problem really. I use the 270deg ones for 24V.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The big problem with most of them, in my experience, is that they pull out far too easily. Also, they wobble, so if the cable moves around a bit they gradually inch their way out.

Again, this is just my experience, and I can't say I've used every single variant. But I can say that I had a customer return on an electronic widget I made which used DINs, for that very reason.

Reply to
Steve Thackery

The locking version gets round that problem. They're still a very flimsy connnector, though. Introduced partly to save on space, and partly to protect the European equipment makers' monopoly, IIRC.

'Orrible things.

Reply to
John Williamson

For a start, any connector made of a plastic which melts easily when soldering (if it is a solder only connector) is junk as far as I'm concerned. The Belling Lee fits into this too. The standard DIN plug also falls apart easily. You can get better designed ones, though.

Other thing with DIN is the plating on the pins seems to corrode easily - even in a normal domestic environment - over the years resulting in a poor connection. That - and other reasons - is probably why they've fallen out of favour these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)