Subject Author Posted Replies

Memory
Katie, who is 11, was helping me in the workshop today. She told me how some of her class been in trouble for filming the teachers covertly. Of course I told her how, in 1965, I'd made a sound...
192
192

What's it called, sprung cable retaining P clip?
I'm after some spring steel P clips. The type that have barbs on the wings which will grip the web of an I or U section beam. These for use on an old lorry in restoration. Don't want to drill holes in...
7
7

SDS drill bits
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but b efore it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit. There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a...
20
20

Drystone wall replacement.
Had a wall of around 50 metres give way during the winter gales. It will take the rest of the year to cut away the trees who's collapse caused the wall to partially demolish. I have very good reason...
6
6

Timber types and selection?
Hey guys! I'm a new DIY-er and an avid flight simulation pilot. I want to make my own cockpit using MDF and timber but have no idea where to start. I've been told not to screw MDF to MDF as MDF is a...
23
23

Re: I despair (take 2 ...) OT
In Australia the prime minister,Gough Whitlam, said we should pronounce it Klometer. Why should we do that with this word when none of the other variations of metre don't.(or any other metric...
141
141

Relaying slabs in garden.
I have some "stepping stones" set in to my lawn: 9x18 cms and also a couple of paving slabs : 60x75 cms which have sunk. Is it better to relay them on "blobs" of cement rather than just trying to get...
19
19

Haven't battery tools come a long way...
My Ryobi petrol strimmer finally blew up - threw a lump off the engine. Killed it's hedge cutter unit 2 years ago thanks to a crappy plastic gear. Will not be buying their stuff again... So my latest...
12
12

Lightening dark stained beams?
Currently embarking on a major refurb of the living room. There are two stonking timber beams across the ceiling (about 8" square by 13' long), which a previous owner has covered with a very dark,...
33
33

Bottled Gas (Camping Gaz) valve replacement
I've got a few of these: They're for outdoor gas lanterns, but as you'll notice the injectors all clogged up. So I tried to dismantle one, hence: My next question, which you can probably see coming,...
4
4

Boiler service - what do they do?
Our 10 year old Valliant, which has been faultless, I guess could do with a service (not had one for five years). What exactly do gas-certified plumbers do for their £70? And can they be bothered...
14
14

Hinges that work in two directions - special name?
I want a joint that can be flexed in two directions at right angles to each other. In principle I could do this using two hinges with one plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the...
17
17

Repairing broken portable radio aerials
Got three now snapped off (don't ask - no kids around). It's debatable whether they actually do anything but suggestions please of how to fix.
13
13

Which Floor tile adhesive?
I'm about to tile a kitchen floor (green chipboard) with ceramic tiles. The floor was previously covered with vinyl that was very well stuck-down with something like evo-stik. Will the regular...
29
29

OT Interesting link
This is a repost of my new Skeptical Science ‘basic’ level rebuttal of the myth that "Sea level rise predictions are exaggerated." What the science says: Sea levels are rising faster now than in...
3
3