Subject Author Posted Replies

PIR and boiler flue
Ye olde style balanced flue terminal, not a combi/condensing plume. Would a 180° PIR sensor about 18" above and 18" to the side of the flue be likely to suffer from false triggering?
8
8

Filling a hole
Now my nasty brick fireplace has been removed I'm left with this What's the best way to fill this in do you think ? Cinder block ? Many thanks Sean
9
9

Mother of all bookcase projects
A tale of some of my recent fumblings in the workshop... (not even proof read yet - so don't expect it to make sense!) Classic large bookcase and cupboard - DIYWiki
33
33

Tyre pumps
Having said I couldnt see any sense in the little electric ones, I now want one :) Not for tyres, but for blowing up lots of balloons. Aldi do £6 electric ones, but are they able to inflate 50...
6
6

Dell colour laser: follow-up
As a final resort, I stripped this down until I could access the I/O board. I wiggled each of the connectors. It has two old-fashioned 8 pin DIL chips on it. When I pushed them down they gave that...
1
1

Temporarily "capping off" an unused but live cable?
There's a 2.5 mm^2 spur cable (on a ring) coming up out of the floor of a cupboard, through a brick wall, to a now disused FCU (on the other side of the brick wall). I need to take the FCU off the...
20
20

Joining galvanised to copper
Anyone have any ideas to join galvanised steel pipe to copper on a central heating system (other than threading the pipe). Philmac UTC 15-21 does the join the data says it's only cold water rated
6
6

OT:Phone using and charging
I've got a Nokia Lumia 620 (It's a work thing :( ). Of late, I have discovered the HERE app, which is a perfectly serviceable sat nav. Given I'm always carrying my phone, I prefer to use that, rather...
7
7

Cladding
More shed-building related questions. I was planning on using "Hardi-plank" cement cladding but on closer inspection it requires a 20mm airgap. Which is a pain. We've got a timber frame with celotex...

Colour laser printer (slightly OT)
Not really looking for "how to fix", I have a Dell 1320c which is getting increasingly reluctant to connect, either by USB or network, typically showing as "offline" from the computer end and "no...
16
16

Football
The English team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. "It was heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope," Said Jose, aged six
35
35

Should I be worried about this plaster crack?
Hi all I'm been looking at the plasterwork of our 'master bedroom' with a view to redecoration in the near future. I am a bit concerned about a long crack in the plaster and given my naivety about...
30
30

Patio Furniture
I have a patio table and chairs set, that has now spent three winters outdoors, with no treatment. It needs some TLC. I see that Cuprinol do a treatment regime, consisting of firstly, a Restorer, then...
4
4

Aldi's Petrol Strimmer
I've an extensive length down a fence that gets overrun with weeds each yea r and I decided when this strimmer came up to do a little homework and take a punt on it - the 3 year warranty is always a...

What dilution ratio
I have some Marshalls Jointing Sand Stabiliser which was left over from when I had my driveway block paved, and thought about using it. I have just finished re sanding the block paving after cleaning...
7
7