OT:Phone using and charging

I've got a Nokia Lumia 620 (It's a work thing :( ).

Of late, I have discovered the HERE app, which is a perfectly serviceable sat nav. Given I'm always carrying my phone, I prefer to use that, rather than a separate sat nav (which then needs to be carried out of the car).

I plug it into the car charger when I use it. However, I have noticed of late that it seems the phone is using power quicker than the charger can supply it. I've started a 90 minute journey with 100% charge, and the phone has died before the end (yes it is charging, there's an icon on screen).

I appreciate in sat nav mode, the screen is permanently on, but is this unusual ?

Could it be the car charger is not up to the job ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It is quite possible that the car charger is only designed to recharge and cope with typical standby phone use. Having the display and the gps on continuously would be a relatively heaving load. You might be able to buy a fast charger for car use but make sure it is properly compatible with the phone. The other option might be these external power packs that are basically a big battery in a box to give you enough power for a longer journey.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have a couple of lighter socket plugs which have two USB sockets, one the standard 1 Amp and the other 2 Amp (sufficient for an iPad). Peanuts on eBay.

Reply to
newshound

We don't know that the OP's phone uses USB for charging.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It's not an iThing, therefore it's a pretty safe bet that it does :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have certainly seen that on a 925 when using the first release of Waze for Windows phones. Lucky if the phone lasted two hours. External battery pack was no better. Though for me, Here was the solution and would last indefinitely.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes we do, he's already stated the make & model.

Reply to
Richard Colton

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the charger, and it says 500mA. I then switched to the charger my wife uses (which had no current stated) and ran with that. Now the phone charges *and* runs the satnav. I've tested it a few times, and the phone ends up fully charged, even after an hour of running the satnav.

Who'd have thought it ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk