Patio Furniture

I have a patio table and chairs set, that has now spent three winters outdoors, with no treatment. It needs some TLC. I see that Cuprinol do a treatment regime, consisting of firstly, a Restorer, then secondly an oil or stain, depending on your choice of finish. There are brands other than Cuprinol, too, but it seems to be the most available in this area (best promoted, maybe).

for ref.

My question: Is the restorer necessary, or is it just a way to extract more money from us? And are there any suggestions for a good or better way to restore the finish? The wood is all in good physical condition, apart from looking grey rather than teak-coloured.

All useful and sensible suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Davey

These "restorers" have an effect that lasts about a year IME and looks pretty shitty too. All the effective stuff is now banned. I just power wash my teak garden furniture, gets the black mould off & it looks better but not like new.

Reply to
harryagain

You imply that they're teak. Our teak table and chairs have been out in all weathers all year round for just under twenty years now, and are still in excellent nick. The only treatment they get is an annual pressure wash. Just after washing they're a pale teak colour, then they soon go a silvery grey, which we quite like.

Experts might say that pressure washing is a bad idea. It does expose the grain, but again the effect is not unpleasant.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I was going to sand down and oil the teak slats on a bench that has been outside since about 1990 in various locations. The timber is in fine condition(*). Yes it's grey and mottled but that's "character". It's going to stay grey and mottled. B-) Clean fresh deep red teak just wouldn't look right.

(*) The timber is recycled teak lab work top. Got it cut and planed to size in a timber merchants. The corners that haven't been exposed to wear are still sharp.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the comments, folks. Now to persuade 'er that not doing much is the best option!

Reply to
Davey