Subject Author Posted Replies

TotalCare, again.
So, having been told by some drooler on BT Sales that TotalCare wasn't available for residential lines, I ranted about it on Twitter (*). Surprise, surprise, someone from BT just called, within the...
3
3

Strange floor tiles
Having removed a brick fire place with a brick hearth, I found under the he arth a number of white tiles, which are 9x9" in size, very thin, and extrem ely brittle. Is there a possibility that these...
5
5

Possible combi boiler fault ..
This has happened twice now ... Boiler is a Vaillant TurboMax. Symptoms are that when hot water is running (like last night when I was showering) and there's a pressure drop (when SWMBO uses the...

burglar alarm tripping on power cut
Just bought a house with Eurosec CP8L LCD burglar alarm system, new built i n 2003 along with a handful of matching ones down the road. Whenever there is a power cut, most of the alarms go off...
29
29

Help with LED lights (currently have halogen)
I am somewhat confused by these LEDs, I am currently running inherited halogen lights in this house and would like to convert to LED if it makes economical sense. The problem is I get more confused...
14
14

Wickes Summer Vouchers FYI
Went into Wickes today & spent £40, they gave me 2 'Summer Vouchers', one for £10 off if you spent over £50 and one for £20 off if you spend £100. Could save a few quid if you have a project...

Electric shock from an iPod!?
Odd one. Using an iPod in our travel speaker dock on holiday, powered by i ts own wallwart as usual (9v IIRC), via an extension cable. Working perfec tly, at the end of the evening I removed the ipod...
16
16

2,4-D and reeds
Does 2,4-D (the active ingredient of selective weedkillers that kill weeds in lawns) kill reeds? Only, I have nettles invading the reed-bed that processes the output of my sewage system and I'd rather...
12
12

Venting two bathrooms
I have two bathrooms, one above the other which makes plumbing very easy. I am planning to refit the upper one which has a large roof light with ventilation slots (1897 method) and it needs no...
6
6

OT Poor windmill!
A wind turbine that cost the Welsh government £48,000 to buy has been generating an average of just £5 worth of electricity per month. Now gone missing in action. LOL
13
13

Community Defibrillator provision
I live in North Yorkshire and the ambulance response time to remote regions varies from slow to piss poor. There is a joint NHS initiative to install community defibrillators in such locations...
101
101

Re: Bloody cheek!
[x] Other "Because it's a steaming pile of shit" My favourite one like that was a piece of software I installed for a client. It was utterly _dire_. The vendor seemed unable to figure the problems,...
39
39

2gang socket with USB?
I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this- Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better? We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent...
31
31

OT Nuclear waste.
Decommissioning Berkeley Nuclear Power Station
11
11

Fully enclosed shower cabinet against rough stone wall?
Current bathroom walls are of mixed stone and brick. Previous attempts at wall tiling have produced poor results, with tiles frequently blown off by damp. consequently the existing shower area is a...
49
49