Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT Efficient (Data Usage) Satnav App for IOS
Hi All, I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms...
21
21

Ideal boilers
Any current views here on Ideal boilers? A friend is looking to replace the boiler in a flat with a combi, and the plumber wants to install an Ideal Logic Plus 24HE (5-7year warranty) or an Ideal...
8
8

Ideas for replacement axles on sun lounger
I've lost a pair of plastic/nylon pins/lugs that serve as axles for a sun lounger. Another sun lounger has these pins so I know what they look like (see the link below). I suspect it'll be impossible...
4
4

It had to happen :( eBay Q
I ordered a replacement laptop screen last week, through an eBay seller. I was precise in my order, and indeed the confirmation email clearly states the part number I ordered. Two days later (can't...
37
37

OT:Road laying (worth a try :( )
Having put up with a steady deterioration of our road - a 60-house cul de sac, we had a letter a couple of weeks ago informing us the council (contractors) would be doing some repairs this week, so...
56
56

OT-ish: car wheels/tyres
Hi all We swopped our old Suzuki Alto a couple of months ago for a newer Fiat Panda. I had two snow tyres for the Alto: they are 155/70 R13s; they've had very little wear, so I kept them when we got...
27
27

central heating zoning - and Brit Gas
Yes tomorrow the Brit Gas bloke is due to call and give me the blurb on their central heating installs (:-)) Just tonight I read that central heating systems *must* now be zoned! (sigh) Is this...
19
19

OT: radio on freeview in Scotland
Any of the generally very knowledgeable users of this group tell me what has happened to bbc radio channels on freeview here in Scotland. Initially all the channels (I am interested in) gave way to...
9
9

Cutting up RSJs with a circular saw!
We were discussing various ways of chopping up RSJs and other weighty bits of steel on another thread, but no one suggested THIS method! (don't panic, the relevant part is in the first minute)
10
10

How am I meant to paint the stonework in this bloody weather?
I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the...
13
13

Headboard with adjustable backrest?
Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this. I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed with two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out independently at the bottom to form...
22
22

Very OT - Lockheed Constellation
Does anybody know if the sole flying example in the Northern Hemisphere was appearing at an airshow this weekend? I'm sure I saw one flying along the South Coast this lunchtime. My guess would be it...
35
35

When is a Square not a Square?
When it's one of these: 0.61 degrees out. We've learned from a previous thread there's such a thing as a "Chinese ton" so perhaps there's a "Chinese degree" as well. In fact if *everything,...
4
4

When is a ruler double sided ?
I went hunting for a 1 metre long double sided etched stainless ruler. Specifically etched as my current printed one can no longer be read, and specifically double sided so I can measure sheet metal...
37
37

Radiator valve to plastic pipe
Does anyone know where to get these: It's an Altech TRV (easy bit) with a 15mm to 10mm (I think) plastic pipe elbow (difficult bit). The elbow directs the pipe behind the radiator, which is what I'm...
5
5