Subject Author Posted Replies

OT.......DIY Rocket bicycle project ?
A challenge for all of you DIY guys to make one of these ;-) Don’t forget to visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/swissrocketman And our website:...
6

Does creosote (or it substitute) stop wood expansion?
The workshop door is expanding (its treated with wood preserver) but it still expanding would creosote it stop this, or does it need a varnish?
3
3

Building and Insulating a metal shed
I was planning to build a large'ish (8'x15') shed to store spare household bits and pieces but the timber cost estimate has come out a bit high (£1400) so I'm thinking of one of the cheaper metal...
8
8

OT Shale gas.
Not a lot of it after all they say. As I suspected. But how do they know this? Fracking’s potential has been ‘overhyped’ by politicians and shale gas will not reduce energy prices or reliance on...
106
106

electrical, Waygo connectors - competitor?
I see are selling these things - very useful too. I thought they were Waygos at first - but these are "Ideal". Don't know which came first - lets hope they get cheaper anyway. Waygo boxes are...
13
13

OT, talking of physics
Well this seems to be the subject of off topic at the moment, perhaps you can help me with this one. I have a radio scanner, and often pick up data from orbiting satellites. Most notably on the band...
5
5

Wiki: PIR
First draft for feedback... NT '''Choosing a PIR security light''' ==Power== Fittings with excessively bright lights aren't unusual, especially with hal ogen lamps. 118mm linear halogens can be had in...
6
6

Interesting Video,,
What do you think ,, Magnetic movie The secret lives of invisible magnetic fields are revealed as chaotic ever- changing geometries . All action takes place around NASA's Space Sciences Laboratories,...
4
4

Which Welder?
The job is to weld containers made of 2.5mm steel. I cant work out which ty pe of welder would be best to choose. Gasless wire is real easy to use comp ared to arc, but IIRC the wire isnt especially...
9
9

Renewing driveway
Our drive was done many years ago. It is concrete with an embossed surface that may have been coloured at one time. It's all weathered in quite nicely. HOWEVER, what I really want is grass or some...
4
4

Fuse wire sizes
Useful table for selecting fuse wire sizes... (via @tumour) Trending: Students! You Need Caroline!
11
11

Desiccant dehumidifier
Need to buy one. Needs an electronic humidistat, not mechanical rotary, and need it to switch off when not in use, dont want to waste a packet on the fan running all the time. What I've looked at...
20
20

Electric plane use
Hello All. Is there an accepted way to avoid each end of a workpiece developing a down ward taper, when electric planing? Manual planes have adjustment to the bla de depth, so as long as the leading...
15
15

Garden wall smartening tip
For the past 6 years I've been looking at my very grotty front garden wall and wondering what to do about it. Seems that it was built 30 years and has never been touched. I've seen them painted; it...
12
12

OT Fuel cells
Possible new electricity source for the home. Run off gas I assume. Possible Feed In Tariffs too. A new report funded by the fuel cell industry claims that over five million fuel cell smart power...
3
3