Building and Insulating a metal shed

I was planning to build a large'ish (8'x15') shed to store spare household bits and pieces but the timber cost estimate has come out a bit high (£1400) so I'm thinking of one of the cheaper metal sheds ... problem is how to avoid condensation so I'd value the team's opinions and collected experience.

Floor: The plan is to concrete some 4x4 spurs in the ground, then half lap and bolt 2x4s across the spurs, hang some joists between the 2x4s and then cover with 18mm OSB. More work than laying a slab, but gives some ventilation, saves having to dig-out and is easier to remove when the time comes.

The ceiling and walls are going to need insulating so I'm wondering whether it's enough to stick polystyrene tiles on them. Although, I'll want some shelves so there will have to be some upright battens and I could put insulation between them and board over with 8mm OSB - problem then might be condensation running down the walls behind the insulation and making the air more humid.

What have others done?

Reply to
<no_spam

Nothe expansion rates are different. Besides, if you are mounting things through the wall I'd be more worried about leaks there and rust. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Agreed - I wouldn't have holes.

Reply to
<no_spam

Under no circumstances build the Screwfix one. It uses a million screws, which tear out, is not wind or watertight without a massive amount of work and TMH has had a similar bad experience. Maybe buy some OSB in bulk and settle down to a few weeks pleasurable work in cutting it up and screwing it together.

Reply to
Capitol

The last shed I built used home made sip panels (12 mm shuttering ply glued to 2" polystyrene glued to ply for the floor (it only needs supporting at 24" centres). The walls are 12 mm shuttering ply on the inside screwed to 2x4 and covered by 6 mm WBP with 3" fibreglass bats inside. The same for the roof with the 12 mm ply on the outside.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for the warning!

Reply to
<no_spam

When I costed a DIY timber shed I was planning to use tanalised shiplap, but the price became, ahem, "significant" and has put me off. What did you finish the outside of yours with?

Reply to
<no_spam

Cuprinol wax.

Reply to
dennis

If I were doing it from scratch, I'd use lined insulated double-thick steel agri-panels, as commonly found on many farms and for the past several decades at that. These can be picked up shop-soiled, or even used, where they are still in perfectly sound condition, just the odd bash here and there and easily sorted, reasonably cheaply. You get all the benefits of a steel structure, no condensation, good insulation (for a shed) and decent-ish soundproofing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon