Subject Author Posted Replies

Fixing leak behind bath taps
Despite all my efforts I'm getting water seeping down behind my bath taps and damaging the kitchen ceiling below. There's only about 1 cm to work in between the taps and the tiles, so getting that...
19
19

£3 million and rusty nails !!!!
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening? Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber, fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere...
25
25

plaster board again
When I replace the plasterboard (for tiling) on the walls do I need to put some sort of tape on / in the corners /edges prior to tiling. What about any vertical joints, do these need to be filled.
6
6

Plasterboard thickess for ceiling
Is 12.5 mm plasterboard ok for ceiling or should I go for thinner. Noise insulation not an issue, I am just thinking in terms of weight.
10
10

SSD life.
My desktop PC has dual boot XP and Win7. XP only for the odd prog I still use occasionally which I've not wanted to pay for an upgrade, as it still does what I want. They are on separate HDs. Which of...
11
11

Expert on energy saving.
On R4 a few minutes ago:- Expert: And remember not to leave things like phones plugged in on charge when they've finished charging. Mair: Is it ok to just unplug the phone while leaving the charger...
58
58

Google Chromecast
Yet another OT post. Chromecast was` mentioned in a recent TV related discussion, which made me wander off and read more, only to discover the audio version, released September this year. Sounds...
6
6

Essential utilities for laptop running W7
Taking Dave's point that this NG gets filled with OT shite, I'll ask anyway ... Looking at replacing my Tosh NB200 which still happily runs XP, but is not suitable for upgrading. Current choice is a...
26
26

Gridwatch back up
Or rather BM reports soap server..
1
1

Gridwatch wedged ??
Since about 23.00 last night?
3
3

Wallpaper paste
Just put up lining paper and the finish paper I got is paste the wall type. As it's going over lining paper would normal paste be OK to use or should I get paste the wall paste.
5
5

Cutting box section roofing ?
My daughter's partner has bought some second hand box section steel roofing for a shed he's building. He asked me how to cut it !! What's the answer please Rob
13
13

Another Blow for the Ecowarriors
This year, satellite data found Antarctic ice to be increasing in mass, a reflection of the complexity of global climate change.
84
84

OT: Wind power failing again
Now producing 0.6% of our requirements. Old gas-fired stations being brought back on line. Meanwhile reliable old nuclear carries on producing 7.5GW, day in, day out. Perhaps harry can tell us where...

K Rend
This is what they seem to be using for render round here Three houses in this road have knocked off the old render, seen that the brick faces were buggered, and chosen this option. Seems like the...
6
6