£3 million and rusty nails !!!!

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber, fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew Mawson scribbled

Character innit.

Reply to
Jonno

Agreed. I watched it last (?) month and thought it was a mess.

And I thought stainless was recommended for all ext cladding....

But then I'm never sure if Grand Designs have a design life greater than c20 years :)

Reply to
Robin

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

Reply to
polygonum

Gone right off Grand Designs. And this follow on program. It used to be very good,all sorts of DIYers and oddballs.

+Strange projects.

Now it's just uninhabitable glass boxes with posturing brain dead architects. They always run out of money (some bloody architects, can't even cost a project)' A brain dead Kev always does his pessimist thing first. At the end goes round swooning over some shitty glass box monstrosity, that's in dire need of instant demolition.

I always use SS screws outside these days.

Reply to
harry
***The Australia one is even worse.
Reply to
harry

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's "clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This one did that:

Looks like the C4 web site is now limited to "On Demand", I can't find the interesting background detail they used to have, it is simply a means to select programmes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Its an ecohouse.. designed to fall apart and compost after 20 years.

Reply to
dennis

Essential for any external use of Oak.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I still watch. Hoping to glean something useful.

An architect will always maximise the site potential! I think it may be an ego issue:-)

Formulaic TV. Find out what brings in most viewers and repeat ad nauseum. The shitty glass box only works if you overlook 1/2 mile of open country and the sun never shines.

Don't try undoing them. They usually break off at the weak point behind the head.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does seem daft when galvanised nails are pretty cheap.

What will happen is exactly what is happening to my cheapo fence, bits are dropping off as the nails rust through. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Grand designs featured this sort of finish a week or two ago. Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and then stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a century then I'll let someone else use it!

Reply to
Capitol

Or are so soft that the heads strip. I find the roundhead ones much harder and have yet to break one.

Reply to
Capitol

If shipping containers are made of corten steel, why are they all painted?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Branding.

Reply to
Adrian

I find they break off at the begining of the thread. And they break/bend quite easily.

Reply to
harry

Yes I've had that. You need a completely unworn screwdriver bit to avoid it. And lean on it hard.

Reply to
harry

So did I however The ones I have are a piece of sh&t as the heads snap off if you try to take them out to re-fix. Then you're left with a headless stump. Are all stainless screws this crap or did I just get a screwfix extra-special crap brand?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I stopped watching it a number of years ago when they simply re-ran the same builds over and over again occasionally adding 2 minutes on the end and calling it "grand designs re-visited"

Not to mention the "oh yes we maxed out 25 credit cards and sold our souls to the devil to complete it. We'll never be able to pay it off and it's way too qwerky and personal to be sold for anything like the build cost, not to mention a nervous breakdown, terminal illness and a on-going divorce and child custody battle because of it I'd sooner kill myself than do anything like it again but I feel fulfilled and it's just what I wanted"

To which Kevin says

"It's really quite ugly, and that strange projection makes me shudder, like architectural nails on a blackboard - It's not attractive but somehow seems to work for them, which ultimately is all that matters...... isn't it?"

Yeah thanks a bunch Kevin. Give me gorgeous George any day of the week (in a perfectly heterosexual way)

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk