Chainsaw run problem

I have a Homelite 330 20" saw. It is very hard to start and cuts out frequently. It can run at high speed but can not run at idle speed. I have done the following in hopes to fix the problem. I cleaned the carburetor and reset the hi/lo speed adjustments according to the manual. The carburetor was dirty but I did clean it well. I set the idle adjustment also. I clean the fuel filter and checked the fuel line for cracks. It looked good. I was getting good spark but I still replaced the spark plug. I cleaned the air filter which was also very dirty. None of these fixes fixed the problem. I really think it's a fuel/air mixture problem. I can keep it running by getting it to run rich, ie turning out the lo speed screw. One thing I did notice was that the foam gasket for the carburetor and air filter is very worn. I'm thinking maybe air is bypassing the air filter and getting to the carburetor chamber. Would this produce these symptoms I am seeing? Can anyone think of anything else that could cause this problem.

Thanks

Reply to
ed

More than likely it is the beat up air filter..... But there's something that might be so obvious that you may have missed it..... Check out the gasket between the carb and the air filter.....(That's one of my favorited stunts, is to neglect to put it back in after I'm done cleaning the air filter). And make sure the 'rubber boot" between the air filter and carb doesn't have a hairline crack in it....

If it's air being pulled through a crack, it'll make it hard to start, and it'll almost refuse to idle. And you might consider a carb rebuild kit.... It'll run you about 25 bucks...

Good luck!

Reply to
Brand "X

You can easily replace the gasket between the carb and air filter or just clean it good with cab cleaner let it dry and use silicone gasket sealer replace. But I doubt this is your problem the problem is the low speed carburetor circuit is clogged these can be had to get cleaned out I use small pieces of wire to "rod " out these passages and then compressed air and alternative is to use a good carb cleaner with a straw on the nozzle to clean out these small passages but the carb cleaner really only replaces the compressed air for the most part. I have had good results with Valvoline Synth Power carb cleaner and poor results with gumout. the proper way to use cab cleaner is to soak the thing like squirt some in the passage till it comes out the other end let it sit a few minutes then do it again a few times rather than blast a lot through at one time give the cleaner times to eat at the gunk . Some people have had good results with adding SeaFoam fuel additive to their gas. Which reminds me did you clean out the fuel tank itself ? if not do so with either alcohol or dry gas you can use 91% rubbing alcohol if it's cheaper but don't use the 71% .

Good luck

Reply to
Jeffery Davis

Thus spake Jeffery Davis:

What the heck is "dry gas"? Presume it's w/o h2o, but where is it obtained? Do you mean white gas (coleman stove stuff)? Do you mean just some gasoline fresh from the filling station?

Googling, I get lots of natural gas (LPG) definitions, but nothing you can pour in a lawn mower...

Reply to
DaveC