Banging sound in pipes . . .

at a natural gas water heater. It is not the sound you get from buildup at the bottom of the tank. It sounds like someone is hitting the pipes with a small metal hammer. If you put your hand on the pipes you can feel the shock vibrating the pipe. It happens late at night when there has been no use of hot water and the burner has not been on. If the main supply ball valve to heater is turned off, the noise stops. Sounds like it is pressure related. Ideas, suggestions, buy a new house? Thanx in advance.

There's not enough information here to diagnose properly, but, I'm gonna' immediately suggest that you add an expansion tank on the hot side (of course) of your water heater. This is not for rookies. Hire a plumber.
Bob Wheatley
You need to install something called an "air hammer". Its like an upright cylinder filled with air to soften sudden draw or shutoff. Even a slow draw into a toilet or something in the middle of the night can make it vibrate the pipes.
Depending on what kind of pipes you have, you may be able to take about the pipes and install this thing yourself. They'll have them at your local home store.
jesus i leave for 2 weeks and the DIY'ers come crawling out of the woodwork. edeck this is a plumber group.

may i suggest you leave for another two weeks? I've just plumbed my entire house and passed inspection. Sorry if your skill is too basic for us.

Good lord man! Can you please post photos or videos of this plumbing job? Please? We couldn't buy better entertainment than what those photos or videos would show.:>)
Bob Wheatley
you need to get a life and stop handling so much leaded pipe, dude. why the hell are you bothering to reply to me?

Umm....Because I can? Besides, it's always fun to poke fun at morons. It's a freakin' national plumbers hobby.
Bob Wheatley
I'm purtty sure it's not called an air hammer, but a flux capacitor.. or wuz it a peep anti-vibrator... opps no it wuz the thing a majig that you know stops the water from flowing back towards the street....
edock... It could be a number of things... When there is a sudden stoppage of water in the pipe, or too many fittings have been used to get from point A to point B... Pipes that haven't been secured properly (expansion/contraction)..A dirty cartridge (shower control). Is there a check valve on the hot water line... Maybe it's chattering? Like you said maybe it's the ballcock... Who knows? I wouldn't try and guess and say outright that you need shock arrestors.. Try pouring some bleach on the pipes I hear that works too..

Ned Flanders wrote:

it again.
Make that ditto for me. I can only conclude that plumbers must make their cracks show on purpose.

Make that ditto for me. I can only conclude that plumbers must make their cracks show on purpose